Gliclazide

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Has anyone else had problems with Glicazide, the diabetes nurse practitioner put me on it about 4 weeks ago initially because the dose of metformin I was on wasn't controlling my blood sugar and told me to take 80mg twice a day which she increased about 2 weeks ago to 160mg twice a day in addition to 500mg Metformin twice a day, it still isn't working fasting in a morning I usually test about 9-10, I have something to eat, take the pills and a few hours later my blood sugar seems to spike at around 14-15 then hovers around 10-11.

I feel totally awful, tired all the time, raging thirst is back and the only time my blood sugar has ever come down is when I tried totally avoiding carbs for 24 hours. Only other strange incident was last week, I tested about 16 in the afternoon, went out to grab some groceries and started feeling rough at the checkout, instant sweats and world spinning and when I finally managed to get home I tested again and my blood sugar was 5.7, 10 point drop in the space of an hour cant be normal :(

Does anyone have any advice because I did read on Wikipedia that there can be about 10% of people that don't absorb these drugs properly and I am seriously worried here, trying my best to control my blood sugar but it seems no matter what I do it stays just as high and hardly ever comes down.

I have found that gliclazide is inferior in potency than glubutride. In the past two years my blood sugar numbers have rarely gone below 16, and that is on 4(80mg) gliclazide. Because I have had personal problems and could not keep falling asleep from hyperglycemia, I added glubutride which has helped. Soon I plan to see my doctor. Paradoxically the last A1C was below 7. D'oh! I really hope she will increase my anti-diabetic drugs and hope she will give me gluburide. My met was lowered for a number of kidney complications, which I think have nothing to do except a medical drug interaction error. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTTERP