Gliclizade increasing blood sugars

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a really strange question but I previously posted that I was so fed up with my diabetes due to rising blood sugars and not being able to control them.
Well through a little mishap I forgot to take my Gliclizide the other day and I noticed that my sugars just taking metformin and Insulin came down to more manageable levels.
It’s been 3 days now and I’ve not taken the Gliclizide and my sugars are hovering at 5 before meals and 6 after! These readings have not been seen for ages!
Surely the Gliclizide is supposed to reduce blood sugars, not increase them?
I’ve now got more energy and feel better at the moment, I’m hoping that this will continue but I’m not getting my hopes up as it’s early days!
Am I wrong to now not want to take the Gliclizide anymore and should I be talking to my Diabetic team to say I no longer want to take this medication?
I’m really confused at the moment.
Thanks

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
If you are feeling better and your BG control is better then you are not wrong to stay off the Glic for a bit.
Talk this over with your team.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As xfieldok says, odd.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1446575/
I suspect that if you are not reducing the dose of insulin then this combination may be producing too much insulin in your blood, and this may be triggering Insulin Resistance. The purpose of this combination is usually to reduce the insulin dose and reduce the swings but some doctors use it to try to prolong a honeymoon period. I am not an insulin user so cannot advise, but this is my off the cuff guess.