Glimepiride - experiences?

Emmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After more than 5 years of bad, becoming horrendous, side effects taking Metformin my doctor allowed me to stop it. Unfortunately in the 3 weeks since doing this my daily bs levels have just been getting higher and higher, even with lower carb eating. Doc is starting me on Glimepiride - I am terrified of experiencing hypos. Can anyone who takes this medication tell me their experiences with it please? Are hypos inevitable? I also take Alogliptin.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Hi Emmar,

I was on Glipizide, for about 2 years. I was to take one pill once a a day and was advised to take it before a major meal. One question I have is it an extended release? It might take some time to figure out the timing between taking the Glipizide and meals. It will be a learning process and had a bag of hard candy ready if I went hypo.I went hypo 3 or 4 times and it was taking the meds and exercising. My body was producing insulin and did not need the meds and I had also lost 20 lbs. Before that I did not have any issue. It might take some time to adjust what is the proper dose, that is something you need to work out with your doctor. One thing I always checked my blood sugar before going to bed if it was 4 or lower I would take some fasting carbs to get it to a safer level the same after exercising. FYI Glipizide and Glimipiride are the same class of medicines and should take then right before you eat a meal. The other thing I was careful was to eat dinner around 6;00 PM so I had a chance to adjust things.

I hope this helps

Dave

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on Glimepiride 1mg the lowest dose when I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 90 .
I spent 2 months taking it and at the same time I was low carbing about 50gms a day , and after about 1 month with the Glimepiride in my system I was going hypo down to 3.5 levels ,but not ill with it .
Make sure your surgery give you a blood glucose testing kit and strips , they should do especially if you drive.
If you low carb make sure you test as well .
I have gone the other way to you off Glimepiride onto metformin .
Glimepiride is good at getting sugars low but you need to test, and I used to carry some jelly babies but never had to use them but was tempted to for wrong reasons.
Good luck

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
I was put on Glimepiride 1mg the lowest dose when I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 90 .
I spent 2 months taking it and at the same time I was low carbing about 50gms a day , and after about 1 month with the Glimepiride in my system I was going hypo down to 3.5 levels ,but not ill with it .
Make sure your surgery give you a blood glucose testing kit and strips , they should do especially if you drive.
If you low carb make sure you test as well .
I have gone the other way to you off Glimepiride onto metformin .
Glimepiride is good at getting sugars low but you need to test, and I used to carry some jelly babies but never had to use them but was tempted to for wrong reasons.
Good luck
I fully agree with the need with using a glucose monitor, using it helped catching when I went hypo and gave me chance to take fast acting carbs before thing got out of control. When I was going hypo I felt wonky and tested myself and confirmed the problem and gave me a chance to fix it,

Dave