Glucagon Injection Case

rmcginn

Hey,
I am an A level product design student, and a type 1 diabetic. For my design product i am redesigning the case for the glucagon injection. I am trying to resdesign it in a way that it will be able to be easily carried about and use, because the current cases handed about are bright orange and kind of awkward to bring with you when you leave the house. I would like to know if anyone finds that the case is a bit awkward to carry about and if i could receive any feedback on my idea, it would be really appretiated.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry,I don't have any problem with the orange colour, after all it is a tool for emergencies and you need to it to visually stand out so you (or rather someone else) is able to grab it quickly. It's also not very large.
That said I don't carry one with me normally, since if I had a severe hypo when out, it is unlikely that an ordinary member of the public wouldn't know what it was an how to use it.
I know some mothers carry one when out with their children so they may think differently .

jopar

You couldn't change the colour...

As the Ornage is a colour code not just for us the diabetic, so we don't mix it up with out insulin pen cases, but it is also a colour code for the HCP's who use the kits as well.. A Paramedic or an A&E staff member will grab it when needed just by it's colour.. The need the Glucagon and they know when they put their hand on the Ornage box, it's Glucagon..

Most people don't carry it on them on a daily bases, I know I didn't used to keep one in work, after several members of staff had been trained to use it.. But I suspect if I had needed it they would have called 999 and handed it to the paramedic!

About the only thing you can do it seeing if it can be resized to fit better in mother's handbags, as if it's being carried on a daily bases then it's likely to be done by a mother of a diabetic for their child!

sugar2

jopar said:
You couldn't change the colour...

As the Ornage is a colour code not just for us the diabetic, so we don't mix it up with out insulin pen cases, but it is also a colour code for the HCP's who use the kits as well.. A Paramedic or an A&E staff member will grab it when needed just by it's colour.. The need the Glucagon and they know when they put their hand on the Ornage box, it's Glucagon..

Most people don't carry it on them on a daily bases, I know I didn't used to keep one in work, after several members of staff had been trained to use it.. But I suspect if I had needed it they would have called 999 and handed it to the paramedic!

About the only thing you can do it seeing if it can be resized to fit better in mother's handbags, as if it's being carried on a daily bases then it's likely to be done by a mother of a diabetic for their child!

What Jopar said really! I like the orange. I only carry mine around when I go on hilday..and even then it stays in my wash bag...as I have only needed it a night.

If you are designing cases etc though...how about pump aqccessory cases ( they do exist, but I use a make up bags due to the fact that it works as well, or a portable sharps bin...that you could put in your hand bag etc? I use a test strip pot..which is fine for a weekend away, but something a little more suitable would be nice?

Good luck though!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Novo GlucaGen:
Store your packs of GlucaGen™ Kit in a refrigerator at 2 to 8 C.
A pack carried for use may be kept at normal surrounding temperature (maximum 25 C) for up to 18 months.

jopar

The reason why it's a two part kit is that in liquid form glucagon is very unstable and degrades very quickly, but in powder form it's very stable..

You can keep a kit out for use, at normal room tempreture (not exceeding 25 degrees) for upto 18 months as long as it's within it's expirey dates!

The reason that you keep them in the fridge when not carrying them, is this is about the only place in a domestic household that has a controlled tempreture envirnoment, but another minor reason if when you are within the household it provides an easy place of location in emergencies!

sugar2

Should have been clearer, sorry! Mine is in the fridge...except when I take it on holiday.

Noe that does sound odd!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
rmcginn said:
Hey,
I am an A level product design student, and a type 1 diabetic. For my design product i am redesigning the case for the glucagon injection. I am trying to resdesign it in a way that it will be able to be easily carried about and use, because the current cases handed about are bright orange and kind of awkward to bring with you when you leave the house. I would like to know if anyone finds that the case is a bit awkward to carry about and if i could receive any feedback on my idea, it would be really appretiated.

With the greatest respect I would look for something else to redesign rather than the Glucagon case, as others have mentioned its orange for a reason and I find it quite compact as it is. Other design projects you could consider are...... a small, strong and compact case for carrying glucotabs, identification necklace/bracelet or a practical case to carry insulin pens and bg kits together, unfortunately as you know there are these items are already on sale but there's no harm in trying to design an alternative version.

Best wishes

Nigel

Snodger

sugar2 said:
If you are designing cases etc though...how about pump aqccessory cases ( they do exist, but I use a make up bags due to the fact that it works as well, or a portable sharps bin...that you could put in your hand bag etc? I use a test strip pot..which is fine for a weekend away, but something a little more suitable would be nice?

Good luck though!

yes DEFINITELY design cases for other things... not bothered about the glucagon, it just sits in my fridge. But I would kill for a better-designed bg meter case. I want one that is genuinely robust, doesn't fray at the edges, has sensible pockets for carrying eg used strips while you are out and about, has a window pocket into which I can put emergency details (belt and braces just in case miss seeing the card in my wallet), I could go on....

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How about an insulated meter case for very cold days or when skiing? I've read of a few people who've had problems , needing to test but the meter being too cold.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
phoenix said:
How about an insulated meter case for very cold days or when skiing? I've read of a few people who've had problems , needing to test but the meter being too cold.

Good suggestion Phoenix, the past 2 winters I have had a few problems in this respect.

Nigel

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, I agree ! we certainly could do with a 'small portable' sharps bin and carry case for insulin pens , sharps , etc... Maybe a new style wallet for the alert cards, identity n meds information. All with a recognisable diabetic symbol on like the snake n staff . Something compact and sturdy and lightweight too. Small enough for ladies handbags and the guys too. Possible unisex the case so it suits all...? Anna.x :D

spideog

noblehead said:
phoenix said:

Good suggestion Phoenix, the past 2 winters I have had a few problems in this respect.

Nigel
Sure it's not the altitude as well?

Of course I can't find the spec sheet for the meter that I was looking at before, but I do remember spotting on one model ages ago that it was only rated to just above 2500meters I think. Very easy to be skiing at altitudes higher than that in Europe.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
spideog said:

Of course I can't find the spec sheet for the meter that I was looking at before, but I do remember spotting on one model ages ago that it was only rated to just above 2500meters I think. Very easy to be skiing at altitudes higher than that in Europe.

Can well imagine altitude will effect the workings of a bg meter spideog, but in my case it was due to the temperature but placing the meter under the arm soon warms it up! :)

Nigel

spideog

noblehead said:
spideog said:

Can well imagine altitude will effect the workings of a bg meter spideog, but in my case it was due to the temperature but placing the meter under the arm soon warms it up! :)

Nigel
In that situation when skiing i'd generally fix the problem by having some nice cake from a mountain cafe, washed down with some gluwein and then just ski back down to a lower altitude and try testing again before hopping back on the next lift up. :D

spideog

Actually, thinking along the lines of the skiing. Some kind of case for a pump, not so much to protect it, but to protect the wearer from when they fall on it. Landing on solid objects isn't fun and I nearly came off worse between a fight between myself, the pump and a road recently. Just got lucky in the way I landed, but landing on the pump would have caused me even more injuries than just a couple of bad grazes.

Not that I ever fall over when skiing.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I carry a glucagon kit in my handbag incase it is needed for my daughter. I usually only carry it when we're doing a trip further away from home and I might be in an area that I don't know. If I was to call emergency services and didn't know where I was, not knowing road names etc, then I'd like to have it on hand so I don't have to wait for them if they can't find me. I doubt I'll need it though as my daughter's BG is well controlled but I'd rather be safe than sorry. In all honesty I can't think of anything to change about the kit. It's fairly small and fits in my bag easily. I have so many other things to be carrying that there's no way I could get away without having a bag with me so it doesn't really matter to me about it's current size.

rmcginn

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for all the comments guys, and ive taken them all into consideration and changed different aspects of my projects. I am going to design a case that is mostly orange in colour, and bears the snake and staff logo on, hold the emergency diabetes cards and that can be carried easily in handbags and pockets etc.