Glucagon kit alternative

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no hypo awareness and lose consciousness about once a month due to hypoglycaemia.

My wife has problems using the Glucagon kit due to arthritis so ends up trying to pour GlucoJuice down my throat which is an obvious choking hazard. As ambulances can take several hours to arrive in Cornwall there is no other alternative for us.

Does anyone know of a Glucagon kit alternative that is easier to use?

I am imagining something like an Epipen.

Hopefully there is something out there!

D

Deleted Account

Have you considered an alternative approach?
What I am thinking is a CGM which will alert as your BG starts to fall so you can treat it before you go hypo.
In other words, rather than working out how to treat a serious hypo, avoid having those hypos.

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I currently have a DiaPort and use a Dexcom G6 CGM. The problem is, my diabetes is so unstable, my blood sugar can fall quicker than the CGM can register it (The CGM runs about 10 minutes behind actual blood sugar) and I can be unconscious with my blood sugar too low to measure with a finger stick test but the CGM saying all is OK.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they're working on an easier to use version of glucagon but I don't think it's available yet.
In the meantime, would it be possible to have a small group of neighbours trained to use it and willing to come over should the need arise? Maybe through an 'emergncy whatsapp group' or such? If ambulances take this long in your area that could be usefull for other people in an emergency as well.
I know I would be willing to go over to my neighbours to help them out in an emergency, even if it was a 30 minute drive.
Good luck!

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excuse my lack of knowledge with using Diaport. You say your diabetes is unstable. What is the cause of the instability?
Would a review of your insulin or delivery system help?
I use a Dexcom G4 which I can set varying alarm levels with, could you not set your low alarm at a higher level in the hope you could do a stick test before going hypo.
Apologies if you’ve already considered these options, but like @helensaramay it seems you’re fire fighting which is always extremely difficult. If at all possible you can find the cause of the fire you may stop fire.
Sorry can’t offer more. Hopefully you will find a solution.