Glucagon storage

Wodewarrior

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am having discussions with first aiders at work re storage and potential administration of Glucagon in severe hypo cases (myself and two other T1's who work in the office.

diabetes.co.uk article on Glucagon clearly states

How to store glucagon
Glucagon should be stored at room temperature, away from direct sunlight. Do not expose the kit to very hot or cold temperatures.

HOWEVER, The Glucagen Hypokit I have states store at 2 to 8 degrees C (in a refrigerator).

I would tend to trust the product label and always thought refrigeration was correct myself. Why are diabetes.co.uk advising otherwise?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
All I can say is that both my pharmacist and doctor told me to store it in the fridge so on the basis that the kit says keep it in the fridge as well, I stored mine in the fridge.

D

Deleted Account

I used to store mine in the fridge.
However, as that is not very helpful when I am away from home, my "Orange Box" expired some years ago and has not been replaced.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I've read somewhere that there are 2 brands of the stuff. One says refrigerate, the other says room temperature. My gut says it should be fine at room temperature because it's dry powderish stuff but no idea if that's true.