Glucophage SR 750mg - take tablets together?

AL1

Dislikes
Having this diagnosis of Diabetes :0(
Drivers who hog the middle lane, move over will ya!
Food police, oh purleze!
Hello

Long time no write! :D

I know there are threads about how people tend to take their daily dosage of the above metformin medication.

I'm currently taking 2 x 750mg a day, and have been for over one year. I have been taking one after breakfast and one after my evening meal, this pattern evolved rather then guided by GP, who didn't really know what was best.

The thing is I think the morning dose is effecting my stomach, and always has done so, which is a right pain in work, being a community worker :oops:

I read on the Glucophage leaflet that it's best to take tablets with an evening meal.

It just seems that if you took tablets together, it would be one uneven hit, unless I don't understand how best or effective this med is or how it works?

What do people find works best for them?

I'm gonna hav'ta try this one hit as can't cope with consequenes much longer :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Check with your pharmacist.
I take my 500mg first thing and often don't take a second one, but if I do, it works better with a meal.
hana

AL1

Dislikes
Food police, oh purleze!
Thanks hanadr for you reply.

I did query with Chemist but they didn't really have an answer. :shock:

I've now been taking my full dose (2x750mg) after my evening meal since Monday and so far my stomach has seemed better during the day.

I guess the next HB1aC test will prove if this is working OK.

AL1

Dislikes
Food police, oh purleze!
OK, had enough of this stomach upset thing ruining my life! Having to plan things around the need for the toilet :evil:

Started to take Imodium, and things have calmed down to near normal :)

The next time I see my GP or Nurse will mention this, but I do not want to stop taking Metformin as it truly works very well at controlling my Diabetes.

Hopefully I can carry on with Imodium, more drugs entering my system, I know, but worth it to feel normal again.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are not on Glucophage SR which is the slow release version, then you should ask to be changed to that as it should overcome most stomach upset problems; I've had no problems whatsoever with it.

AL1

Dislikes
Food police, oh purleze!
Daibell said:
Hi. If you are not on Glucophage SR which is the slow release version, then you should ask to be changed to that as it should overcome most stomach upset problems; I've had no problems whatsoever with it.

Thanks for that, but I'm already on the SR version, clue is in the the title of this thread :D

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
I had the same problem with both versions, and they started after 3 days of the SR, most people have less problems on SR, but like me and you, not every body. I am currently taking nothing, and am waiting for a GTT. Do you have any outstanding stomach problems like IBS, that could be making your stomach extra sensitive? That is my problem, as soon as I get to 1500mg. A GP visit is in order here hun Im afraid x

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi,

I awlays take my Metformin SR half way through my meal, I don't have any prolems at all. I read this advice on here last year and it works.

Bernie :wink: