GlucoRx needles

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
These needles are being prescribed rather than my normal BD Microfine needles. on using these needles not only do they bend easily but I have also had the needle come away and remain in my skin having to be removed using tweezers. A very difficult thing to do, in my view these needles should be removed from usage. They are very dangerous and I would like to start a petition to have them removed from use! Please respond with your view!

Reactions: Bon83

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was moved from BD needles to Gluco RX over 2 years ago. Whilst I don't think they puncture the skin as easily as the BD pentapoint design, I've not experienced any of the issues you've highlighted.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These needles are being prescribed rather than my normal BD Microfine needles. on using these needles not only do they bend easily but I have also had the needle come away and remain in my skin having to be removed using tweezers. A very difficult thing to do, in my view these needles should be removed from usage. They are very dangerous and I would like to start a petition to have them removed from use! Please respond with your view!
I got these last prescription they are awful - painful and don't fit on the pens right! I am going to ring my surgery about it. I am not usually antagonistic but I'm really annoyed. I have drawn blood with every injection today!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really pleased that you haven't had any problems with them!
Now funny enough.. I've seen the BD micros on some occasions push out from the 4mm position when screwing to the pen due to the plastic body of not gripping the needle, thus pushing it out due to resistance in the rubber membrane on the insulin cartridge?
I've changed the needle imidiatly, testing the replacment as I normally do with an "airshot."

The needle left in your skin. Was this after single use? (Silly question I know. But needs to be asked.)

Reactions: Struma

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I got these last prescription they are awful - painful and don't fit on the pens right! I am going to ring my surgery about it. I am not usually antagonistic but I'm really annoyed. I have drawn blood with every injection today!

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, sounds like the kind of problems that I have with these needles, likewise I am going to have these removed from my repeat prescriptions and go back to the proper, reliable needles!!

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your response, on registering for a Yellow Card there does not seem to be a section for things such as needles? I started with devices but obviously that is incorrect! Can you please help guide me in the correct direction to make this safety point? Thank you for your help!

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Just go with devices and they'll tell you if it's wrong and move it to the right one.

Reactions: Struma and Tasha61

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke to the receptionist today and was told to talk to the prescription line. I called the diabetes Nurse to be 'armed' she said that they are supposed to be universal fitting and they are cheaper and that is why they are changing prescriptions. She said I would probably have to plead my case at a doctor's appointment so skip the prescription line because they will try and fob me off! I have no doubt the nurse has given me sound advice but I just can't believe it's true! Now I haven't looked at needle box and thought hmmm these are different and kicked off in the chemist I have tried them - quite persistently and found them to be defective. I thought I would just tell the doctors I would get the old needles - that would be that. I am still going to try and sort it over the phone. Surely they wouldn't think I was making it up? If they were ok I'd use them I don't mind cheaper if it work ok? It must waste millions people making gp appointments to discuss disposable needles - don't get it.

Reactions: Tasha61

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi, sounds like the kind of problems that I have with these needles, likewise I am going to have these removed from my repeat prescriptions and go back to the proper, reliable needles!!

Any issues have a word with your Consultant/DSN if under a hospital diabetes clinic, they'll write to your Dr and ask that your prescription is changed back to the BD Microfine needles. Good luck.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I honestly would not give it a thought if they were the same as the old ones. I have the 4mm ones, I Started to notice bruises and even a pin prick that has gone sore. I anticipate not everyone will suit new things I just hope it's not a problem going back?

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I spoke to the receptionist today and was told to talk to the prescription line. I called the diabetes Nurse to be 'armed' she said that they are supposed to be universal fitting and they are cheaper and that is why they are changing prescriptions. She said I would probably have to plead my case at a doctor's appointment so skip the prescription line because they will try and fob me off! I have no doubt the nurse has given me sound advice but I just can't believe it's true! Now I haven't looked at needle box and thought hmmm these are different and kicked off in the chemist I have tried them - quite persistently and found them to be defective. I thought I would just tell the doctors I would get the old needles - that would be that. I am still going to try and sort it over the phone. Surely they wouldn't think I was making it up? If they were ok I'd use them I don't mind cheaper if it work ok? It must waste millions people making gp appointments to discuss disposable needles - don't get it.
This is very true, I've asked at the Chemist which have just said I need to discuss with my GP, I too would use a cheaper alternative providing they were safe, let me know please if you have any further pointers!!

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi thanks
I honestly would not give it a thought if they were the same as the old ones. I have the 4mm ones, I Started to notice bruises and even a pin prick that has gone sore. I anticipate not everyone will suit new things I just hope it's not a problem going back?[/QUOT

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi thanks for your response, I'm still trying to get the needles removed from my repeat prescriptions, seems to be that £s are a major factor! Would add however that I have NEVER had any problems like this with my usual BD microfine needles!!

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I honestly would not give it a thought if they were the same as the old ones. I have the 4mm ones, I Started to notice bruises and even a pin prick that has gone sore. I anticipate not everyone will suit new things I just hope it's not a problem going back?
I'm using the 4mm ones as well good luck with going back to the decent ones!!

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for your response, I'm still trying to get the needles removed from my repeat prescriptions, seems to be that £s are a major factor! Would add however that I have NEVER had any problems like this with my usual BD microfine needles!!
I will know after 2 pm tomorrow if i have been successful getting BD needles back without a gp appointment. I've had to discard a few gluco needles today because they bent as i screwed them on. I've never thrown the others away so it seems false economy to me