Glucose meter price?

NaziaB

Hi guys, Nazia here!

Just wondering, does everyone get their glucose meter for free? Because as far as I know, it's the GP that pescribes a glucose meter.

I was wondering does anyone pay for any of thier diabetic kit? I am asking this based on my business proposal so that I can know whether I am supposed to charge the goverment or NHS for my wristband or if I am supposed to charge diabetic people.

Thank you for your responses. :)

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I have just bought codefree meter on ebay and was given one by DN. It was not prescribed as such and think it was possibly one from her drawer of freebies.

Reactions: NaziaB

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 1s and others that use insulin are prescribed glucose meters and strips by the NHS.

Type 2s not on insulin or pancreas stimulants such as Gliclazide normally have to buy their own. They may get a free meter either from the surgery or the manufacturer, but have to buy their own strips and accessories.

Some manufacturers give their meters away for free but charge vast sums of money for the test strips.

Meters themselves are not all that expensive. It is the cost of test strips that are, and at the end of the day you only need one meter but you need many thousands of test strips.

Continuous monitoring devices such as the one you are proposing are normally self funded, but some lucky T1s get them prescribed. They are expensive and the NHS has to be careful with money.

If you want your monitor to be prescribed by the NHS you will have to go through many hoops and a long period of time before they will accept it. Otherwise you could sell on the open market to anyone who wants to buy one. Diabetic aids are free of VAT.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@NaziaB Type 1s usually get meters and strips on prescription, but the NHS is now limiting the brands they can get because of cost and financial restraints. T1s can usually get free meters from the manufacturers.
Type 2s sometimes get them on prescription, but not usually.
We have to buy our own meters and strips, though some meters might be given free to T2s by manufacturers.
I bought an Accu Chek Mobile, I was given a Contour meter, which I gave to my sister in law, and I also use a TEE2 which is free, and the test strips are cheaper.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Useful to understand is that meters and their test strips are sold using what is called two part marketing. This was invented by Gillette for their original safety razors. The razor was cheap but they made their money from the long term supply of blades. So, meters can be cheap or free but it is the cost of the test strips that really matters. In general T1's and T2's on medication that might cause hypos, have free meters and test strips from the NHS. Everyone else can buy their own if they want to.

Reactions: NaziaB and Prem51

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
People on insulin are prescribed meters and strips. That's not to say that what we are prescribed suits us all. Many people here buy their own and fund the test strips themselves. There are many free meters out there if you care to look but the biggest cost can be the test strips. They range from about £7.50 for 50 strips to nearly £30!

Reactions: NaziaB and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Because as far as I know, it's the GP that pescribes a glucose meter.{/QUOTE]

They don't need to be prescribed by a HCP. Most are sold in pharmacies or online.
It's mainly diabetics who would buy them, but also prediabetics, and probably even some non-diabetics who might want to monitor their blood sugar levels.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Useful to understand is that meters and their test strips are sold using what is called two part marketing. This was invented by Gillette for their original safety razors. The razor was cheap but they made their money from the long term supply of blades. So, meters can be cheap or free but it is the cost of the test strips that really matters. In general T1's and T2's on medication that might cause hypos, have free meters and test strips from the NHS. Everyone else can buy their own if they want to.

Home office printers & ink cartriges come to mind also.. ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get nothing from the NHS except appointments and I think they may have stopped doing those now. I pay for my own meters, strips, blood pressure monitors and anything else I might need.

D

Deleted member 308541

I paid for my first Performa meter, but it came with a good cash back deal,, my second Performa I got as a free upgrade to a later model.

I now have a Freedom Lite meter which I got for free from Abbot's Australian website several months ago.

I get subsidised strips from the NDSS.