Glucose meter

toymaker2

Hi
I am not sure if I have diabetes, but recently I have got the symptoms (always thirsty, dry mouth, frequent urination). last week I got a BG monitor (Safe-Accu) it worked for the first 3 days with readings 11.8, 15.8, 13 then today all the meter says was "Lo" I tried 8 times! My wife tried who has no diabetic problem and she also got a "Lo" reading. I have spent some time today looking on the net for a good reviewed meter, but a lot seem to be discontinued like Bayer etc. Can anyone advise/recommend a good meter?

Thanks in advance for any help

Tony

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I would have thought a trip to the doctor to get a diagnosis more important at the moment.
If it's confirmed that you do have diabetes then a meter will be a useful tool or an absolute necessity depending on which type you are diagnosed with and what medication you are given

toymaker2

I would have thought a trip to the doctor to get a diagnosis more important at the moment.
If it's confirmed that you do have diabetes then a meter will be a useful tool or an absolute necessity depending on which type you are diagnosed with and what medication you are given

I have asthma and been self isolated for 3 weeks and would prefer not to venture out yet. I got the meter to determine if I have a problem and log the results over several days to see the overall situation. I have stopped eating all chocolate, biscuits, cakes etc and I am drinking 3 litres of water a day, also eating one banana and apple a day. Thanks for replying. Tony

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @toymaker2 , and welcome to the forum!

No advise for meters from me, as I don't live in the UK, but have you given your GP's office a call already? Assuming your meter was working well before it went off, I think you should make an appointment.

toymaker2

Hi @toymaker2 , and welcome to the forum!

No advise for meters from me, as I don't live in the UK, but have you given your GP's office a call already? Assuming your meter was working well before it went off, I think you should make an appointment.

Thanks Antje77 - I wanted the meter to see how bad my blood glucose was over several days - I will now order a T22+ from xfieldok's advice, it looks a great meter and is so low cost!
Tony

Reactions: Antje77

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I have asthma and been self isolated for 3 weeks
I understand your reluctance but if you have developed type1you could get very sick very quickly so please give your surgery a call.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wanted the meter to see how bad my blood glucose was over several days
While I agree that's not a bad idea, why not do both? Call a doctor and check over several days?

toymaker2

Just got off the phone from my doctor and they will be checking me out - thanks all for your help and advice much appreciated!

Tony

Reactions: Antje77
D

Deleted member 308541

Can anyone advise/recommend a good meter?
I have used a Abbott Freedom Lite meter for several years, and found it very reliable, however I have since changed to a bluetooth Lifesmart meter and this is very good a swell.

It does not say where you live in your profile, you will have problems paying for the strips probably. I get the strips subsidised by the NDSS here in Australia at $1.20 per 100.