Glucose meter

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about real wearable tech - a pair of underpants/knickers that detect glucose levels from the skin and transmit them. No patches etc. You didn't ask for doable scientifically. Needs to also have a option to link directly to a pump for 2 way feed back to produce a simple artificial pancreas.
OOPS. As anyone using Glocostix would tell you, underpants often get contaminated with glucose, especially if using a diuretic or GLP-1 medication, which may interfere with the meter. This region of the body is often also obscured by body hair, which makes attachment difficult, and wearing a device in this place would become uncomfortable after a while. I have enough of a problem with keys in my pockets.

Not sure I would want a lazer device so close to my pride and joy. Lastly, this type of contact device needsto be attached to ensure repeatable results, My upants are not that tight, and I refuse to wear budgie smugglers.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
personally I would like an insulin delivery system built into the same device as the cgm

Take a wristband for example:

1) it adapts to the size of your wrist and is fully flexible in that respect
2) a small cannula is attached to the underside of band where an external port is fed through the band to the outside
3) the cannula is implanted into the body permanently or until a viable replacement offers itself up
4) instead of the wristband storing insulin, you carry it around and when you need it, you just inject it into the location of the band where it will travel to the cannula and then into the body. A portable IV drip if you like.

It's discreet, injecting would feel more natural, some may still prefer to do the old injection and finger pricking, but maybe this could be an idea for the future? And with the small microcomputer within the band detecting blood glucose levels as it is coupled with the cannula that is inserted into the skin, it would display your level in realtime, sounds like a cheap option to me.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been asked by Accu chck to test their Aviva Connect which sends your data via Bluetooth to your computer or smart phone.. I should have the mere in a couple of weeks and it sounds like a step in the right direction. Personally I think CGM with many advances will make the meter obsolete. Smaller components and Bluetooth will advance this CGM in a big way. Also the costs will come down

mbudzi

When I was first diagnosed, I would have loved a meter that tracked food in and bloods out in one app. I'm not sure if they are around now, but 5ish years ago, being a newby, I couldn't find anything. It would have helped to have all the data in one place with my blood monitor talking to the app so I didn't have to input that number as well. There are some great apps that read QR codes or let you set up regular meals or foods that you eat and a meter that would upload its data into this, do some analysis of which meals went badly ... that would be like a thinking half pancreas.

Reactions: 3 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TomGreen101 interestingly told by Accu Chxk today that Connect not available and no plans for release in UK. This was from the customer helpline after I emailed them as love the idea of a Bluetooth connection with an app. So decided I'll go for the SD meter (as many people suggest) as it appears to be the best value and just record the results manually.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@TomGreen101 interestingly told by Accu Chxk today that Connect not available and no plans for release in UK. This was from the customer helpline after I emailed them as love the idea of a Bluetooth connection with an app. So decided I'll go for the SD meter (as many people suggest) as it appears to be the best value and just record the results manually.
I don't know about UK but it will be released in Canada when testing is completed.. I absolutely love it.
I'm sure the UK will get it.

Reactions: 2 people