Glucose readings from a Fasting test?

chrisgod

I recently had a FULL MoT and my "Hemoglobine" (French spelling) which I take it is the H1 a1c1...... Sorry can never remember what the term is! Was 12.5 g/dl which is I think just under the legal limit?? :roll:
Anyway I am also pretty sure the last reading was 9.0? (cannot find the test sheet!) But my readings have also taken a distinct nose dive! Since I started on "Victoza"?? So WHY is my reading so high?? And I mean I did have readings of up to 213!! And now they very rarely exceed much above 150 even after a BIG meal! And are more usually around 120 (Don't forget these are French readings! So it is 120/18 = 6.6.) I was going to go onto Insulin, but my Doctor of Diabetics said try Victoza first And THAT transformed my readings overnight! from VERY high nearly ALL the time to mostly LOW and certainly within reason.

Regards

Chris

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HbA1c on a French test is Hémoglobine glyquée and the result is a percentage .
A blood test can also be done for hemoglobine (iron in red blood cells) often as part of a full blood count.(hemogramme)
A normal result for a male from my lab is listed as between 13 and 17g/l
for a female 12-16g/l

If it were a glucose test then it would be a glycemie ( à jeun; fasting)

by the way my results are always given in g/l not mg/dl (for some things they also put the results in mmol/l. This is important to check if you compare figures with US sites which are in mg/dl

chrisgod

My readings for the Hemoglobine is 12,5 g/dl And shows a normal range as between 13,0 and 17,0?
I also have on the same test a reading for Hematocrite as 39,7%?? As against a range of 40,0 to 54,0?
And then a test for Hemoglobine A1c (I had thought this was ALc! and don't really drink!) @ 7,4% against a 4,0 to 6,0??It says under the test "Chromotographie d'echange d'ions a haute pression(HPLC BIORAD) Technique de reference certifee NGSP/DCCT.

Does this make sense? And I now take it the A1c test is the glucose one? And is high still at 6,0? It was last time 9,0 and before 12.5!! so heading the right way!

Appreciate the heads up!

Chris

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And then a test for Hemoglobine A1c (I had thought this was ALc! and don't really drink!) @ 7,4% against a 4,0 to 6,0??It says under the test "Chromotographie d'echange d'ions a haute pression(HPLC BIORAD) Technique de reference certifee NGSP/DCCT

Yes this is your HbA1c, it's 7.4% (the range for a normal person is between 4 and 6). The rest of the blurb is describing the type of test done and that it is a validated technique

So your overall glucose levels are lower than before and going in the right direction
Hematocrit is the percentage of blood composed of red blood cells. A very out of range hematocrit could lead to a falsely lowered or elevated HbA1c