Glucose readings

lowthian20

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,
Got a slight issue which is baffling me. I have been a type 1 for about 40 years, since childhood. It has to be said I did not really respect the condition for about 30 years. I currently take 10 units Actrapid morning 10 Actrapid lunch 10 Actrapid early evening and 24 Lantus about 9pm
My blood sugar readings have always been a bit eratic, probably my fault but I have been getting average readings of about 7 to 8% which for me is good and I have now started to respect the condition
For some strange reason over the last week my readings have gone down to 2.4% 3.2% 4.2% etc I have changed the amount of insulin I take to try and address this but to no avail, for example in the moring if I have 2 slices of toast I will reduce the Actrapid to 6 units and so on
The odd thing is that when my blood sugar used to go below 5% I would feel unwell If they went to 3% certainly unwell with associated hypo symptoms. Now when they go low I feel as the readings are about 20% i.e. I feel sluggish lethargic dry mouth etc
Anyone out ther have any suggestions

eddiemac

Ian

I personally think you are doing too much insulin for the amount of food that you are taking onboard!! I would do 3-4 units for 2 pieces of toast dependent on what my sugar was pre toast.

Ed

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Andy,

Its good advice from Ed, try 2 units less with your toast and then test afterwards to see the results, remember to test every hour up to the 4 hour mark. I notice you were taking the same amount of insulin (10 units of actrapid) at every meal previously, so I take it that you were eating carbs to suit your insulin dose, as opposed to matching insulin to the food you eat.

Should this be the case Andy, have you tried the DAFNE course, they teach you to match your insulin to the food you eat. Its a 5 day course, very worthwhile and teaches you how to count carbs, dose adjust, sick day rules with insulin and loads more. I had type 1 for 27 years before I enrolled, but believe me, it was one of the best things I've done!

I would suggest you get in touch with your diabetes clinic, speak to someone about your present problem, even enquire about the course if you have not already been on it.

Good luck

Nigel

eddiemac

I have been DAFNE'd as well Nigel!!

HBA1c pre dafne between 9 + 10% and after 7%! The doctor said last time I went "dont know what your doing but just keep doing it!!" and that in front of 4 students!

lowthian20

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Many thanks for the replies. After being diabetic for this long I am pretty stuck in the "old regime" of not adjusting the insulin to the food eaten. I am interested in the DAFNE course though, How do you go on it. Do you have to be put on it by your GP or can you enroll yourself
Once again thanks for the advice

Cheers

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Andy,

What you need to do is get in touch with your diabetes clinic and ask them if they run the DAFNE course, and if so tell them that you would like a place on the next available course. It may take a while to enroll as spaces are limited, usually only 6-9 people each course. Depending on your circumstances, tell them that you could enroll at short notice, as people do occasionally drop out at short notice.

Good Luck!

Nigel

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Andy,
Agree with what's been said previously, especially about the actrapid dose.- I was on it years ago, don't remember taking that much, even with a high carb meal; but then everyone's different.
Interesting what you said about hypo symptoms- sometimes recently I've thought my BG was high, felt thirsty,dehydrated, headachey etc, and surprised that it now seems to be a symptom of a hypo. My hypos aren't always that way though, but now I do have to be wary. I've been type-1 for 21 years, so maybe it's just an age thing??
You really need to get a grip of your diabetes now, if you want to avoid the enevitable complications.
Jus