Glucose tolerance test whilst acutely unwell

Doireallyneedanams

I’m 26 weeks pregnant and passed a 75g 2 hour OGTT with flying colours in June. Fasting 4.1 and 2 hour post 4.4.

I had a second one yesterday, fasting 4.4 and 2 hour post 8.2.

Now, my concern is this. I have some sort of virus. I’ve had a cough for the last few days (picked up from my son) and today I’ve woken up with a full on cold, snotty nose, cough etc.

I’be read that you shouldn’t have an OGTT if unwell, but do you think 8.2 is a bit high even for someone ill? It was double what it was a few months ago, but I’m in 2 minds about requesting another OGTT in a couple weeks.

Coincidentally I had to give a urine sample a couple hours after the test yesterday and there was no glucose found, so I would suspect my numbers weren’t reaching the stratosphere at 1 hour either.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, a virus can raise your BG but I would have expected to see that reflected in your fasting level too.
Had you been eating normally in the days leading up to the test ?
Were you watching your carbs or fasting ?
The 8.2mmol/L is only just into the cutoff for pre-diabetes (>7.8) so just something to keep an eye on, perhaps reduce carbs for the remainder of the pregnancy but I'm no expert on this.

Doireallyneedanams

Yes, a virus can raise your BG but I would have expected to see that reflected in your fasting level too.
Had you been eating normally in the days leading up to the test ?
Were you watching your carbs or fasting ?
The 8.2mmol/L is only just into the cutoff for pre-diabetes (>7.8) so just something to keep an eye on, perhaps reduce carbs for the remainder of the pregnancy but I'm no expert on this.
thanks for the reply. I thought the same. Fasting last test was 4.1 and this time 4.4. Not a huge difference I suppose, but still an increase.

Threshold for gestational diabetes is over 7.8 at 2 hours.

I’m going to assume it’s unlikely I’m suddenly prediabetic, since my last GTT only 8 weeks ago was perfectly normal, and my hba1c was 33 only 4 months ago. am I right in thinking prediabetes would be more gradual than this sudden onset within a few months?