Glucose Tolerance Test

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone know what the purpose of these are? My sister had one when she was pregnant with my niece, but other than that I have never heard of it.

My doctor wants to send me for one, but never said why. I think he said something about confirming I have diabetes, but unfortunately he doesnt speak very clear English, so I wasnt sure what he was saying.

If my fasting blood glucose is 8.1 and my HBA1C is 7.7%, surely it is already confirmed that I am diabetic. I dont want to have to take a whole day off work and spend hours up at the hospital if all they are going to do is confirm what we already know.

Could they be looking for something else? Any advice would be welcome.

Cx

martinbuchan

Your fasting glucose is by definition high- therefore you probably do have diabetes. Without symptoms your GP will repeat the fasting test or can do the GTT. Very useful test at picking up borderline diabetes and pre-diabetes.

Marty B

Maria

HI CLARISSA.
I am awaiting appointment for that test also..i was asked to get it done..I was told its best and def way to see if you have D/B or not.
as all my other tests were done at docters a starve test,,it also showed im there lil lower than your starve count think mine was 7..and a tiny bit glucose in urine.
hope this helps.
Maria,

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Maria

I checked with the nurse and I dont have to go for this test. It is used purely as a diagnostic tool and she says with my fasting level and hbA1C she already knows I have diabetes. The doctor who wanted me to go is old school and she said this is the old way of confirming diagnosis.

If it works for you though with being borderline, then good luck. I hope you get a good result.

Claire
:)

Maria

hi clorissa
Just my luck lol....going with a younger doctor aswell..got the appoint through today have to go on the 6th..another docter did say you have it..as blood level and symptoms are typical..wonder if they do this just to see what level and what medication..Have been border for many years..and slackened of a lil during troubled times...so i guese this is whats it all about.
thank you for posting.
regards
Maria.