glucose up overnight ?

humphreydog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
new to all this, just getting my head round the whole thing. Been trying to do low carb for two weeks now since diagnosis and am "eating to the meter" .

Just a couple of questions on things which dont make any sense to me.

Yesterday before tea, 5.5 :))
1 hrs after tea ( low carb ) 8.7
2 hrs after 7.1 ;)))

rewarded myself with 100g mixed nuts and 6 small pieces of 70% chocolate

this morning 7.6 :(

does 100g nuts and 6 small pieces of chocolate mean my blood was high all night ?

i know to cut out the chocolate and will test again just having the nuts !

qu 2 ( sorry) i had 3 weetabix and semi skimmed milk for breakfast to see what reaction I got.
after 1 hr 13.5 ouch ! after 2.5 hrs and walk with dogs 7.1 :) is this good in terms of my reaction to the spike or bad because I've spiked so high in the first place?

Finally, i have bought a codefree meter, wash my hands before testing - tested blood from finger left hand - 8.2, tested blood finger right hand 7.5 !! is this as result of the soap im using or discrepancy in meter? Ive tested it and it says its fine !

Sorry for the numpty questions but its not easy getting your head round it !!

Humphrey

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The meters are not 100% accurate you can test the same drop of blood from the same finger and get different results !They give you an idea of what is happening to your BGs and how much they are affected by what you eat .No numpty questions !
CAROL

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nuts contain carbs and proteins which will break down to glucose if your body does not require any more so will raise your levels. I doubt that this would have raised your levels all night and is probably more likely that it is dawn phenomenon. This is where your liver provides your body with glucose just before you get up but you cannot process it as your insulin resistance is in the way

humphreydog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies.
I will read up on the dawn phenomenon. I did have a lie in so was awake for at least an hour before testing.

If I test as soons as I wake up will this negate the dawn phenomenon ?

If I want a snack before bedtime should I go for cheese or something else rather than nuts?

Also is the 13.5 weetabix spike something to woory about when its back to 7.1 an hour later?

Thanks

Humphrey

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I found it really best to avoid Weetabix even though ordinary plain original Wheetabix is less of an problem than all other products of this type including "Weetabix" like products under supermarket own brands.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes a spike to 13.5 is not good. If you want to try weetabix again see what a single one does. It may just be portion size that is killing you. Alternatively you could try scrambled egg, omelet, maybe some porridge

Reactions: 4 people

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
new to all this, just getting my head round the whole thing. Been trying to do low carb for two weeks now since diagnosis and am "eating to the meter" .

Just a couple of questions on things which dont make any sense to me.

Yesterday before tea, 5.5 :))
1 hrs after tea ( low carb ) 8.7
2 hrs after 7.1 ;)))

rewarded myself with 100g mixed nuts and 6 small pieces of 70% chocolate

this morning 7.6 :(

does 100g nuts and 6 small pieces of chocolate mean my blood was high all night ?

i know to cut out the chocolate and will test again just having the nuts !

qu 2 ( sorry) i had 3 weetabix and semi skimmed milk for breakfast to see what reaction I got.
after 1 hr 13.5 ouch ! after 2.5 hrs and walk with dogs 7.1 :) is this good in terms of my reaction to the spike or bad because I've spiked so high in the first place?

Finally, i have bought a codefree meter, wash my hands before testing - tested blood from finger left hand - 8.2, tested blood finger right hand 7.5 !! is this as result of the soap im using or discrepancy in meter? Ive tested it and it says its fine !

Sorry for the numpty questions but its not easy getting your head round it !!

Humphrey
Not a numpty, the only way to learn is to ask.
3 weetabix is a lot. Why don't you cut back and see how it works, its trial and error

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a numpty, the only way to learn is to ask.
3 weetabix is a lot. Why don't you cut back and see how it works, its trial and error

Yep and milk ...............lactose is sugar :(

Most T2s avoid cereals for this reason , go eggs bacon etc or full fat yogurt and a few berries if you dont fancy fatty stuff

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Not everyone is affected by Lactose the type of sugar in milk.
Lactose must be broken down in the body into simpler sugars. The ability to breakdown Lactose is genetic 30 percent of those of white northern European stock don't breakdown Lactose, and among those from African or Asian this rises 70 percent .