Type 1 GLUTEN FREE DIET CARBS COUNTING

akuziner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone,
My girl is 4 yrs old and was diagnosed only 3 months ago with type 1.
She must eat GLUTEN FREE.
I am desperately looking for a booklet or Apps which can make my life easier to count the carbs.
Most of the applications i found so far are NOT suitable for kids food and far to complicate to use on a daily base.

So far i am using My fitness pal,which is perfect for industrial food, but i really struggle for simple kids food ESPECIALLY GLUTEN FREE.
So hard sometime to make the difference for carbs count between raw and cooked.

Any applications which can make all those calculations from raw to cook? especially for gluten free pastas (so many kinds on the market)...

Many thanks,

Audrey

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Not seen an app then never looked. All foods have their carb value on them. So if home baking then just add all the carbs together and divide into portion size required.

Have you looked on coeliac uk site?
Personally as a diabetic I wouldn't eat pasta anyway as the carb content is :eek:

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm Type 2, husband has NCGS. You can find some gluten-free kids' snacks in the baby food section in supermarkets and other gluten-free processed food in the Free From aisle. They will have the carbs per 100g on them but most are cakes and biscuits, not nutritious food.

I would suggest that you need to get more support from your GP and diabetes team if you have one, so you can learn to carb count for your daughter. Maybe ask to go on a DAFNE course.
She'll need good food, regardless of carbs basically.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a little book called Collins Carb Counter, but I usually just count from memory or use the info on the packet. When I was first diagnosed, the dietician gave me a very, very useful booklet with carb values in for everyday foods so I was able to learn those quickly.

For pasta, if you know the dry weight carb amount, you can weigh that out (eg 50g dry weight is 35g carbs or whatever) cook it, then weigh the cooked pasta (eg your now cooked pasta weighs 95g so you now know that 95g cooked pasta will be 35g carbs). Then each time you cook pasta for the family, you can simply weigh out the portion for your daughter after its cooked, and you will know the carbs from your previous cooking.

Most pasta is similar for carbs so I don't do that with different brands as they're all very alike. I do have some gluten free pasta and that's higher in carbs so for something like that I would do the above again.

Rice I measure cooked in tablespoons. Potatoes I weigh uncooked. Cereal and flour I weigh.

If you have a recipe, work out the total carbs from the ingredients, then divide it by the portion your daughter is having. What I do then, is write that info on the recipe so if I make it again I know the carbs eg 1/4 is 45g carbs.

It will get easier as you get more experience :)

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
basic stuff is on carbs and cals otherwise as @CarbsRok said just add it up.

Been carb counting gluten free for years. Also invest in a digital scale which measures in g.