Gluten intolerance,low iron and vitamin D

GlitterSparkles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi i had i blood test for a couple thing but i have low iron vitamin D and a gluten intolerance can these things be related

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Are the symptoms of your gluten intolerance to do with your tummy and digestive tract?
Sometimes eating foods with gluten makes if more difficult for us to digest our food - which means that we don't digest all the nutrition in it. Which may make you deficient or low in some nutrients, such as iron.

You may find that once you have stopped eating any foods with gluten in them, you can absorb your food better. :)

The vitamin D is more likely to be because you don't spend enough time outside in the sun. A lot of people have this problem! Partly because our weather means we don't get much sun in the first place, and partly because we don't spend enough time playing/working/walking outside.

The very best way to sort out low vitamin D is to spend time in the sun, with your arms and legs exposed to the sun (because the sun causes our own skin to create vitamin D). But obviously that isn't going to happen at this time of year. ;)
So the next best thing is tablets.

Has your doctor told you to take any tablets?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
hi @GlitterSparkles, If you had a blood test for the gluten thing is would report either words like 'consistent with gluten intolerance , coeliac disease or borderline result or negative for gluten intolerance etc. I take that it is the first of these reports.
Coeliac disease is about the cells lining the small bowel (the bit of intestine or tube which starts from the end of the stomach, winds around for quite some meters and then changes in to the large bowel .
This small intestine has a lining like a pile carpet when seen under the microscope. That means there is a lot of room for food to be broken down in this pile carpet and moved (absorbed) through the wall of the intestine into the blood.
Coeliac disease is where these cells in the lining deicide that they just cannot stand having gluten near them. Gluten is a substance that naturally is found in grains like wheat, barley, rye, spelt, triticale (and oats). These cells in the pile carpet react to the gluten and that damages the lining. Parts of the pile carpet end up like rough tile floor, other parts as though the barber or hairdresser has done a crew cut or a long cut.The tile floor or really closed shave parts have no where near the room to absorb food that the pile carpet does. Think what happens if you were to slip a glass of water on a pile carpet and another one on the tiled floor. Please do not try it otherwise you and I are going to be in big trouble from your Mum and Dad !! Yes the water almost disappears into the carpet but not so with the tiled floor.
Anyway the other thing to know is that with the small intestine has special sections along its length where it likes to absorb certain vitamins, minerals etc. Like a series of train stations. First stop maybe the iron leaves to go through into the blood, another stop Vitamin D and so on. But where the lining is damaged the train station has been pretty much 'totalled' or destroyed. It it as if at iron's stop the iron cannot leave to go through into the blood. or only a little amount does. Same with some other stations.
That can explain why in your blood test your iron and Vitamin d levels are low in your blood.
What to do? The answer, which your doctors will be talking with you (the most important person) about and with your Mum and Dad (who are extra important too) is about not eating any gluten, none, zip, nada, absolutely zilch. Gluten is a sort of enemy to your intestine cells. Take gluten away and the pile carpet repairs itself, the train stations get rebuilt and your body can receive all the things it needs again. I will leave the doctors to discuss with you more but what I have written above is the basics. se ethe coeliacsocietyuk.com
Now Coeliac disease (I can see a school project in this for you )!! happens more in Type one diabetics than it does in people with out diabetes, so there is a sort of connection.
One thing you could start looking up is which grains are gluten free. As you will need to know this as well as your diabetes diet. But of course your diabetes diet will change because you will not be having those foods with gluten in them.
Another list, some breads, buns, certain sausages ..........
It is not fair to have diabetes and even more to have coeliac disease as well. More challenges ahead !!
My Best Wishes go with you and your family.

Reactions: lindijanice