GMTV Scare!!

mac78

Hi all!

Hope eveyone is well?
Sorry to bother you all but i just watched doctor Hillary on GMTV and he mentioned that Diabetic home kits do not give reliable results.

This has scared me a little as i am not diabetic to my knowlege but have used my mothers kit previously and got results in the 4s and also by a kit from Lloyds chemist in the 4s

Does this mean that there kits arnt reliable also? I believe there is a program on this tonight on ITV

Another conern is that i am tending to be woken at about half 6 every morning to urinate, is this normal?

I am going for a routine eye exam today also, so i wonder if they can pick up diabetes through my eyes?

I do suffer from health OCD so am i right to be concerned or not?

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mac78, blood monitors may sometimes be a little innacurate, but not to a significant degree. They are rigorously tested in development and also extremely reliable in my experience. If you're testing in the 4's, you are not diabetic, full stop. Needing a pee at 6 o'clock doesn't make you diabetic any more than needing a pee at any other time!
If you really want something to worry about, go and buy some Bank shares! :wink:

All the best,

fergus

mac78

Thanx for the reply

so i shouldnt worry about my mothers / chemist kits results?
Was abit concerned also for my mother as i didnt want her to get false readings and could risk her getting sick.

They mentioned its to do with how long your blood is open to the air that can cause diffrent readings, due to clotting or something

Daz

Well when I was in hospital my blood sugar was checked with the same kind of meter as my home one, so as long as its regulary calibrated using the control liquid that comes with the meter I think you'll be ok.

I suppose its like saying that your bathroom scales arnt as acurate as your dietitions, its all a matter of calibration....

mac78

I think basically my health OCD has taken over my irrational thoughts on this subject, and that the show just sparked it off

If my mothers meter and the chemist meter read the same then im guessing they both cant be wrong

DiabeticSkater

Dr Hilary's son is type 1.

The blood glucose testers are very inaccurate on may levels. the m,manufacturers themselves admit at 20% inaccuracy. And then the blood that you take from your fingers is noway going to be the same as the blood which is flowing around the brain, heart and other vital bits and bobs.
Its about time someone realised the outdated technology we are using needs to be so much better. especially as I put my life in the hands of that little device on an hourly basis. The people who make these metre are happy because the money keeps on rolling in. Its the technology in the metres themselves which is not very good. no particular metre is different as they all use the same technology. Which is not very accurate. Might be a bit frightening but totally true.

great diabetes innit

mac78

So should i go to the hospital and ask for a blood test?
I last had one in April and it was fine, and have tested on a meter once every month or so since

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
This looks like more ammunition for the anti testing brigade :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

DiabeticSkater

There are some who say testing bg for type 2's not using insulin is a waste of the NHS resources.

Personally I lived for a long time without as meter. but rely on it now and really only use it to see if my bg is moving and to try to work out what adjustments need to be made. But its still old stuff. the first ones were absolutely appalling and the recent ones are not much of an improvement. Again the manufacturers should have spent more money on finding a better way to test blood glucose levels. If this was part of a cancer treatment there would be uproar.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Oh Mac!!!I thought we'd convinced you that you were non-diabetic.What are we going to do with you?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Will I have to edit out 'that' word as this is the discussions section? :twisted:

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Just a thoought, but does it really matter if the meter is inaccurate as long as it is not wildly so?

I may be testing with a meter that may well be say 10% out, but i'm awlays testing with the same meter so my bg fluctuations will still show to the same extent and therefore the reading are still of value.

sorry dippy logic there but hey ho!