Go, Snapsy, go! Moral support requested!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nothing delayed onset about this muscle soreness, @catapillar - somehow I can barely manage the stairs right now!!!

;););)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some pictures, and a big THANK YOU.

The words beneath the pictures are the ones I've also used for my last update on my fundraising platform, but I wanted to share with you my story of today, and I want to point out that YOU - my forum friends - are included of course in the long list of 'YOU'.

BM10K_01_JH.jpg
BM10K_02_JH.jpg
BM10K_06_JH.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support of my run!

The BM10k – part of Brighton Marathon weekend – was even more fun and even more of a challenge than I had ever imagined! It was a glorious sunny day which warmed up quickly – I’d been confident that it would be cool enough to be comfortable to run in, but pretty soon I was very grateful that I was only wearing a pair of shorts on my bottom half, while at the same time kicking myself for wearing TWO running vests on my top half!

But it was lovely. I'd come with some fabulous friends and family, the route was lined with supporters, and within no time at all I was very, very pleased to have had my name printed on my vest, because it’s so, so motivating to hear ‘Come on, Rebecca!’ and ‘Good run, Rebecca!’ from complete strangers who were so full of encouragement!

Suddenly I understood the power of people. It made me quite weepy. This was a big deal. I watch the London Marathon on TV every year, and it really, really moves me. So to be part of a mass running event like the BM10k felt absolutely amazing. There were so many people out there running for all they were worth, representing a huge number of very worthwhile causes.
And the support along the way was phenomenal.

Now I’ll let you into a secret. I KNEW I could do it.
Yes, despite my struggles to actually get to be a runner – holding myself back from doing things for all these years by choosing to view my type 1 diabetes as a brick wall rather than just a little hurdle to get over – and my slightly dodgy foot from overdoing the training – and the fact that I seemed to have picked up a bit of a cold last week – I KNEW I could do it. Get round, I mean. I could have jogged for a bit at the start, to get going, and then, if I’d had to, I could have walked. Just walked. And still got round. And actually, that was all I needed to do to ‘finish’ the BM10k.
And wear the medal. Get the t-shirt.

Well, I finished the run 1 hour 6 minutes and 42 seconds after the starting gong sounded, and precisely 1 hour 3 minutes and 46 seconds after my left running shoe (with its snazzy timing chip attached) crossed the actual start line. This was way quicker than the 1 hour 8 minutes that an online race predictor said I could expect from myself (based on my 5km data and a bit of cybergoogle), and well away from my own 'if I could just do it within an hour and a quarter I'll be happy' timing prediction.
I’m wearing the medal. I’ve got the t-shirt.
And I ran all the way.

I ran with YOU beside me.
YOU who told me I could do this.
YOU who supported my campaign financially, or who gave me the emotional support that I needed.
YOU who told me ‘I’ve heard your story – wow, go for it!’.
YOU who convinced me that I could do this, even when I felt I couldn’t.
YOU who reminded me that keeping going is the best policy.
YOU who told me not to go off too fast and run out of energy.
YOU who said ‘you’ve got to do it – I’ve got a tenner on you!’
YOU who indulged me in my request to get you hum the theme tune to 'Rocky', which was my 'keep going' music which did keep me going even though you were only humming it to yourself.
YOU who shouted Go, Snapsy, Go!
YOU who are far away but who I know were there.
I saw all of YOU during my run today, in my mind’s eye.
YOU were cheering me on.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You're smashing.

Love Snapsy xxx
:happy::happy::happy:

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well done @Snapsy didn't think you wouldn't for a moment. How the hell do you manage a smile? Mine is always a grimace.
Think with effort I could keep up with you next time

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The 'Where's Wally?' picture cracks me up, @walnut_face - I'd probably had exactly the same expression as everyone around me a nano-second before that moment, but I'd just spotted my husband and his camera, which made me spontaneously smile and wave!

He did take some snaps on occasions I didn't see he was there - and those have the grim-faced features of a Serious Runner! Those aren't going to see the light of day! Bit of a shame as one of them is of me running past the pier near the end, so places it in Brighton - but that picture would just scare people......

;)

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry i didn't root for you beforehand but a late massive congratulations on my part. It's nothing short of astonishing what you did.

I've actually found some footage of you running online: