Going abroad for the first time as type 1.

willogs

I am going away in May and was after advice from others who have travelled as type 1. How do you carry insulin/needles on the plane, do i have to inform the airline first?? And any advice that I might not have thought of will be really useful. Thanks

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I've been abroad a few times with Type 1.

You should get a letter from your diabetes clinic that says you need to carry needles and insulin with you to show the airport security if they ask any questions.

You should take all of your supplies on board with your in your hand luggage, don't check your insulin in with your luggage!!

Are you crossing time zones? If you are, find out how much hours in front or behind your destination is and you will need to adjust your basal insulin for the time difference.

It's up to you if you want to tell the airline that you are diabetic or not... They usually do a diabetic specific meal option, it all depends on what diet you follow. As a type 1, for me, i dont bother because i like to eat normal stuff. Having said that, the first time i told them my 'diabetic' meal was nicer than my other halfs non-diabetic meal!

Take more supplies than you need... it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Does your hotel have a fridge?

If you are going to a hot country like Egypt or something, i would recommend Frio pouches to store your insulin pens in while you are out and about, they're really good at keeping your insulin cool during the day.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head lol, Hope it's been of some use!

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
oh yeh... Travel insurance. Dont forget to find out exactly what you're covered for with diabetic related illness or claims.

malky

I have been type 1 for four years and been abroad a about 8 times since and only once have i been questioned about my insulin and that was by customs in cuba. Generally i find that when that ask if you have any sharp objects on you and i say my needles they just say ok, but i take a letter from my doctor or diabetes clinic just incase. As sad always take all you medication etc. in the plane with you and if your traveling with others ask one of them to carry some as bags can get lost. What i tend to do and was recommended to me was to take double the amount of stuff you think you will need and i usually give half to whoever i am traveling with.

chocoholic

Yes, I too have split the insulin etc. between my baggage and hubby's, just in case a bag got lost or stolen.Enjoy your trip!

willogs

Thanks very much for that, some good tips. Going to a Villa so definately a fridge available, need to think about the daytime temp for my insulin, never thought about that. Have an appointment with my DSN next week so can sort out the letter then. Only going to portugal, so not a big time change (if any). Need to sort my travel insurance, again another thing not thought about. Am worried about how the temp and change in diet will affect BS- more hypos??, if anyone has further advice I would appreciate that.

C

catherinecherub

Hi willogs,

You can eat a very healthy diet in Portugal. It is a mediterranean country so there will be plenty of fish, veggies and fruit. Make sure you drink bottled water as the local supply may upset your tummy.

If you google something like, "Guide to Portugal" you will see that in May it is not going to be unbearably hot so try not to worry.

Have a lovely holiday, leave your cares behind and enjoy.

Regards,
Catherine.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

willogs

Thanks for that Dennis, I would never have looked at the small print but will do now. Just need to wish my hols here quickly now.

hello :)

I'v travelled quite a bit as a type one diabetic and thankfully havent had any major problems as of yet! I bring my isulin in a cooler bag and bring a bit more than i expect to need ..... just in case! I also have a letter from my doctor explaining that I have diabetes, I would definately reccomend you get one of these!

I was told to always bring my insulin in my hand luggage too, something to do with the hold being too cold and it can freeze the insulin, and then its pretty much useless.

Trying to arrange a fridge to keep the insulin in wouldnt be a bad idea either, insulin should keep ok for a few days ...... but anything longer I woulnt advise :) Im off to africa myself this summer and im a bit worried about managing everything there .... but hopefully il figure something out! if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :)

hope this helps,

x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi R-T-K,

Frio bags are pretty good for keeping insulin chilled while travelling or while away on holiday. Using a coolbag can be tricky - if you don't put an icepack in the coolbag then it can get too warm, if you do include an icepack then there's a big risk of the insulin freezing. Same applies to travelling with Byetta.

rainbow fish

Hi, I logged on to find answers to this question, so thanks to everyone for the information. I use Levemir once a day, so just to clarify, I shouldn't put an extra pen in my checked in luggage as its too cold in the hold? And I believe there is also something to do with pressure making it explode?
How did it work for people giving extra supplies to their partner, when they don't have a letter saying they are diabetic? I am a worry wart by nature but I know going through Frankfurt airport the security are really tough on liquids and so forth, and I will be flying into New York (yay!) and the US seems to be full on about every detail to do with coming and going!
I can get a letter from my doctor for the insulin, is it necessary to have it list other medications too? I've read on some info sites that one should take the prescriptions and the tablet box with your name on it from the pharmacy, that is the system in Australia but here in Germany you don't keep the prescription and nor does the box have the patient's name printed on it. Does anyone expect this to be a big deal? Can someone make me a cup of tea and tell me to relax and have a good trip??? :oops:

Trinkwasser

Probably a good plan to get a doctor's letter covering *everything*, as a friend who travels a lot points out, Airport Security especially in the States are principally chosen for the size of their muscles, especially the one between their ears . . .

. . . sometimes they are pretty decent and even helpful but you can't rely on it

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi RainbowFish,

In some modern planes the hold is air conditioned so things don't freeze like they used to. The two biggest problems are theft from luggage and the fact that luggage gets pretty appalling handling. If you pack an insulin pen in hold luggage it is very likely to arrive in several pieces. If travelling in the States then a letter from your doctor explaining that you are diabetic and have to carry your kit in hand luggage is essential. I have travelled to the US a lot and have been questioned and asked for a doctor's letter on nearly every trip. I have also seen passengers refused boarding because they were carrying no proof with them. They can be really hot on this in the US. I've never been asked to show a prescription, but I often take one with me in case I have a problem and need some emergency supplies while abroad. I can then use it to prove to a local doctor what I need and get a local prescription.

It's like insurance. If you take precautions and carry a letter and prescriptions, nobody will ever ask you for them!

rainbow fish

thanks for the useful (as always) information Denis, its good to hear someone else's real life experience.
In case it benefits anyone else in Germany or applies to anywhere else, the US consulate here told me this morning that doctors here issue a standard official form called "A-test", which outlines the diabetes diagnosis, need for insulin and sharps plus a list of medications that need to be carried. I hope its a straightforward as that for others, and that it all goes easily next month - just took the plunge and bought the tickets so feeling a little bit dizzy about it all :) Now I only have to steel my will against all those bagels and hershey's kisses :roll: