Type 1 Going away for 3 days and no fridge

Kayden-joe

Hi so I need bit of help I’m going away for 3 days but the place has no fridge to keep my insulin cold my pens have to be refrigerated what can I get that’s not too expensive that’s gonna keep my pens cold I’m Uk based

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Insulin is ok out of a fridge for 30 days, and as I understand it your pens in use should ideally be kept at room temperature.

Folks going away often look at Frio wallets. You just wet them, wring them out then the condensation keeps things cool enough.

im sure others will pop along soon.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In use insulin should NOT be kept in the fridge so three days away should not be any different to three days at home.
Using insulin straight out of the fridge can cause bubble and is more likely to sting when you inject.
As @AndBreathe mentions, if you are going somewhere hot, Frio wallets are the most common solution to keep insulin cool. However unless you are heading to the Tropics to spend hours out doors, insulin is fine at "Room temperature". Last year, I went to Dubai where it was 39 degrees outside. At those temperatures, I spent most of my time in air conditioning without using a fridge and forgot my Frio but my insulin was fine.
So the solution I would suggest that is "not too expensive" is nothing.

My only additional recommendation is take spare supplies with you - extra insulin but also extra needles and test strips. Unfortunately, things can fail and they never fail at the most convenient time so make sure you have spare pens, etc.

Insulin can be kept out of the fridge for up to a month. Therefore, I would take a note of the spare insulin you take with you when you return home. It is absolutely fine to put back in the fridge after 3 days out but it may only last 25 days out of the fridge when you next use it.

But please, please, please stop keeping in use (opened) insulin in the fridge. It must be putting restrictions on your life having to remain close to a fridge all the time.

Reactions: Marikev

Marikev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe speak to the pharmacist, where you collect your insulin. As I understand it insulin needs to be at room temperature when in use , but stored in the fridge. If you are traveling somewhere hot.. you need to be careful with the insulin and maybe use a cool bag of some kind. If you are flying then don’t put insulin in your checked in bag, as the hold will likely freeze it.. not good for insulin either.
I put sticky labels, with the date on, on my ready filled pens when I take them out of the fridge.
I always take enough supplies of diabetes equipment for double the length of time I am going for.
just seen somebody else has written what I have written..
if you are fortunate enough to be going somewhere warm remember the heat can alter your sugar levels. I was diagnosed 2 weeks before I was due to go on holiday. I kept asking the docs if I would be able to go on my holiday, they just kept nodding and smiling and saying yes..until one day one of them asked where I was going… it was Northern Europe, but I suspect if it had been southern..ie hot Europe they might have advised against going. As it was there was a heatwave in Northern Europe at the time.. but I was fine!

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are flying then don’t put insulin in your checked in bag, as the hold will likely freeze it.. not good for insulin either.
Whilst I agree to keep insulin in your hand luggage, this is no longer because it will freeze in the hold - I think the hold did not used to be pressurised and could get cold. Given animals are frequently transported in the hold, this is not the case.
The reason nowadays for keeping insulin with you in your hand luggage when travelling is because checked in luggage can go missing or be delayed.

I also notice you mention ready-filled pens. Have you asked about reusable pens? These are far better - more robust, if you are using NovoNordisk insulin (NovoRapid, Levemir, Fiasp, Tresiba), you can get smart pens which remind you when you last took insulin, cartridges take up less space in your fridge and you produce far less waste.

Reactions: Marikev

Marikev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also notice you mention ready-filled pens. Have you asked about reusable pens? These are far better - more robust, if you are using NovoNordisk insulin (NovoRapid, Levemir, Fiasp, Tresiba), you can get smart pens which remind you when you last took insulin, cartridges take up less space in your fridge and you produce far less waste.
I asked about reusable pens at my last check up at the hospital…the doctor had to investigate them for me, but phoned a few weeks later and I have a prescription for one! Ordered it from the pharmacy and took it along to my lovely diabetic nurse who discovered I had been sold the wrong pen for the wrong ampoules… or maybe the wrong… but she wrote out a prescription for another smart pen, so I can have one for both sorts of insulin I use. Pharmacist has ordered another pen.. and the lovely patient, knowledgable, diabetic nurse has said she will see me when I get my hands on the new pen.. and hopefully ampoules that fit both pens!
I use very little insulin and hate all the waste, when I know there are people who struggle to buy the stuff.