Going Away For 6 Months

Willjf1405

Hi everyone new to the site as I need some advice.
In April I am going to work away in Majorca for 6 months with a friend. Need advice about what to do about insulin and everything else I will need. Do I just need to get a massive prescription at home before I go? Or do I just take enough to last me a bit of time out there and see a doctor and get prescription out there?
If I sort out there has anyone had to do similar and know how I do it when I’m out there and is there anything I need to do before?

Thanks, Will

Reactions: porl69

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello @Willjf1405 and welcome. I can't really give you any sensible advice, but I can bump your question, because I'm sure that someone out there knows. :)

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps one thing you could do is contact expats living there. Google.
They'll have a handle on the healthcare system.
For 6 months and a (presumably) a T1 it may be best to try and register temporarlily.
None of the above is fact, I'm just interfering but it may help.

Reactions: kitedoc

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your health care there may be affected by what happens with Brexit - just something to be aware of.

Can't help either but if it was me I'd be taking as much stuff as I could.

D

Deleted Account

My understanding is that prescriptions are available for UK residents. If you do not live in the UK, you are not entitled to prescriptions. I cannot find the reference today but I believe you are considered non-resident if you have been absent for 3 months or longer.
Whilst we are still in the EU (not sure for how long now) you are entitled to reciprocal healthcare in Spain.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that prescriptions are available for UK residents. If you do not live in the UK, you are not entitled to prescriptions. I cannot find the reference today but I believe you are considered non-resident if you have been absent for 3 months or longer.
Whilst we are still in the EU (not sure for how long now) you are entitled to reciprocal healthcare in Spain.

@helensaramay - The 90 days thing is open to interpretation, dependent upon the reason for the absence. Leaving aside the likes of service personnel or merchant seamen who reasonable have protracted periods away, gap year students and those enjoying an extended break can be viewed sympathetically.

When I was going off for my 9 month sailing break, one of the things I did was toddle off for a candid discussion with my then GP, as I didn't want to land in a potential mess (I wasn't diagnosed at the time). His response was as long as I retained a UK property, paid UK tax and had a (relatively) set return time, he'd be very content to support me. Indeed, as a keen sailor, he was a bit envious of the whole thing.

The European reciprocal treatment doesn't mean things work,just like here. This site has some decent info: https://www.gov.uk/working-abroad/healthcare-and-insurance

With the specific Spanish stuff here: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/he...e-when-travelling-abroad/healthcare-in-spain/

Hopefully some of the foregoing might help you too, @Willjf1405 , although as others have said, Brexit may have impacts we don't understand yet.

Reactions: ziggy_w