going from insulin to tablets?

nodrog51165

Hi just wondering i was diagnosed type 1 put straight on insulin control was very good then 3 years ago taken off insulin and put on tablets is this normal as i thought once on insulin always on insulin , now my control not so good any advice would be appreciated as to what to do

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi nodrog, you might get a better response to this question if you post it in Diabetes Discussions rather than T1 as if you were taken off insulin 3 years ago and were a T1 you would have died by now, T1's have to inject insulin as their pancreas does not make any of its own and if they dont take insulin they die, its about that simple.

On the other hand if you were put on insulin at diagnosis that doesnt necessarily mean you are T1, I am T2 and was placed on insulin at diagnosis, or you may have been wrongly diagnosed but If you have been taken off insulin three years ago the one thing that is certain is that you are not a T1. There are other diabetes types too, like LADA, MODY are just two reasonably common types although they both usually progress to insulin rather than come off it. Misdiagnosis is not that uncommon is what I am trying to say. If you are T1 and having trouble with your bg levels you have two basic options, you can either take more medication or you can help yourself by looking at what you eat.

All carbohydrates turn to glucose and as glucose is what raises our blood sugars it follows that it is carbohydrates that we need to reduce in our diet if we are to only use a minimum of medication. A reduced carb diet means cutting back on things like bread, breakfast cereals, pasta, rice and all flour products, fruit juice too is very high in sugar/carbs.

You will need to test your blood glucose before and after eating, that will show you the rise in bg after a meal, if your after meal (postprandial) level is not returning to close to your pre meal levels at two hours then you need to reduce the carb content of that meal, perhaps start at a reduction of around 50% then when you next eat the same meal, test again and you will see a lower postprandial level, if it is close to your pre meal level then you have the right carb level for that meal for you.

No one can tell you what to eat as we all have different insulin resistance, pancreatic function, so what is OK for one person to eat is a no no for someone else. There are other factors that also come into play like body type, weight, sex, hormone secretions and levels of exercise, but those other than exercise in most cases are largely out of our control so if you just concentrate on reducing the carbs you eat you should start to see a big improvement in your control :thumbup: