Going into hospital ......

xxxleonadxxx

Hi folks .. quick query ...

I am scheduled to go into hospital at the end of the month to get all my wisdom teeth out (ouch) and dunno what to expect ........ I haven't been into hospital for an op since I was a kid and not since I have have been diagnosed and on medication ......... I know that I will be in overnight, but they have said as long as I am ok the next day I will get home.

Any ideas as to what to expect (aftercare etc) and as a dabetic I have been advised my recovery time may be a tad elongated ... is this right? I imagine I may have to utilise a liquid diet for a while until my stitches are sorted........ the joys :)

Trying hard not to worry too much about it xx

Leona.

JasonHayes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my Tonsils removed several years ago while Type 1. I found I had to take more insulin afterwards, simply due to me not being so active. I was eating aorund the same amount of food, just much slower. I found what ever happen, cut, sore, spot, being diabetic it always takes longer to heal.

Shazza

Son Is T1 got 5 teeth removed few weeks ago, took longer than norm to recover, his bs was better than norm as was only eating soup, yogurts and noodles.

Hope all goes well x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My sister and brother-in-law have both been and had all 4 wisdom teeth removed in hospital. As non-diabetics they went in the morning and released that afternoon. They were a bit bruised but neither complained of pain and could still eat quite well mainly at the front. It took a while for the bruises etc to heal but it really wasn't too much trouble afterwards. I have had 2 of mine taken out at different times in the dentist chair and had no problems at all. It might depend on how easy/hard they are to get out as to how you recover and maybe how rough the dentist is on you while you're sleeping.

Don't stress. I hope all goes well and you breeze in and breeze out and the bsl's stay where they ought.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Leona,
My son Andrew went into hospital 3 yr ago for a endoscopy, after checking all his info the nurse asked anything else we should know, i replied other than being T1 Diabetic (he had been diagnosed 1yr earlier) i couldn't think of anything else, to my horror it wasnt on his notes!!!, i dread to think what would have happened under anesthetic. So just make sure theyv'e crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's being going under.
Suzi x

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Hi Leona

I had an abscess removed on Friday night (literally - the op started at 11.30pm!) just gone, and was out the next morning. General anaesthetic made me feel VERY tired for the next 24 hours or so, but there was nothing to worry about and I feel fine now, the hospital were brilliant all round. All the staff were very curious about my insulin pump, almost as though they'd never encountered one before, and the CGM factor just blew their minds!

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
Hi Leona
I think you should ask if you should stop your medication before going in to hospital, and how if so when, as I have read that a person taking Metformin should stop taking it before surgery, just to put your mind at rest.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck Leona, hope all goes well! :)

Nigel

dudieezper

You should build your confidence that everything will be alright, anyway it is for your own benefit and health. It is better for you to make yourself ready. I guess have diabetes that is why the process is more difficult, but as long as you have your doctors be confident . Just eat the right diet to heal the wounds immediately.