Going out for the day just started insulin 2weeks ago

nanny12345

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am unexpectedly going out for the day ,I started insulin 2weeks ago just before my evening meal (humulin)14units also take metformin 750mg slow release twice a day morning and night my question is if I eat my meal at mid day should I take the insulin then or wait and take it when I get back with a snack .I did ask DN but she just said eat dinner when you get back but what if it's quite a lot later than normal ! I am struggling with peaks and troughs at the mo with test readings

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I was you take it as normal and that way you will know that you have had it in your system and you can then check your sugars to see what they are and how you feel but I am on 5 injections a day and as I have been told that if I eat I take my insulin but that includes taking the long acting insulin but I can get away without taking my short acting insulin so it's up to you whether you take your insulin or not and just keep a eye on your sugars until you get home and then have your meal as I would have a small nibble of food with me and wait until I get home and then have my meal at night and a snack before I go to sleep to cover the day and night and then I would have a clear mind and don't think of the day before and start a new day

Reactions: gillytee31

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, assuming its slow acting Humalin (I)? I think it lasts for 24+ hours so if you dont take it at regular times, you either get a gap, or overlap dose, I dont really see why taking it with, before or after food is important to this drug, but im not expert.

I take mine at bedtime, anything upto 5 hours after meal and maybe 10 hours before next meal, I certainly dont snack with it, fast acting completely different, absolutely need to eat 20 minutes after dose.

As I have said, im NO expert, feel free to ignor me.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You get a gap with humilin insulin when you don't take it regularly as it doesn't work as it should but I haven't been on humilin I insulin but I have been on the others that they do and I found that they never worked for a couple of weeks but when they did they lowered my sugars quick but that depends on what food you eat and drink and I found that bread and a couple of others sent them high for a couple of hours and then they went down and I was on them for a couple of years and I decided that I wanted to go on 4 injections a day and that was okay until I started the levimer and I got a ichy sensation and I had to change it to lantus and that was okay but that was one large amount of insulin in one injection and never done anything with my sugars so it was split up in two one in the morning and one at night and that works better for me and with the novorapid as well and now my sugars are around normal and I don't have any problems just the odd hypo but that I can deal with and I have them anytime of the day and that includes the night and I have sugar and sweets to cure the hypos I do have.

So I can tell you that the humilin insulin is easy to use just depends on which one you have and don't forget to inject insulin when it's due and remember to check your sugars when you are meant to as I do and I have reminders in my phone and my mobile phone app which I use with my blood meter and when it's due it sends a message to tell me and a message to remind me about how much insulin to inject as well and that I have had for a while now and I am using a contour next one meter which I am able to use without any problems and has a lot of ease to it

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is another way that insulin takes awhile to get into your system and that is if you inject into the same spot or you have a lump in that spot due to the insulin and I have had a couple of them and it takes about 14 hours for the insulin to be absorbed by you and you can tell if you have them as they are just a hard spot on your body and the needle is hard to go in and sticks as it does and when you inject you find it hard to push down on the top of your pen or syringe and you will then see the lump expand as you inject insulin and when you finish and you pull the pen or syringe out its a little bit harder than normal and you can see the lump and it's rock hard and it will take awhile before it's gone and healed up before you can use it as an injection site again about a week or so

Reactions: Kevrey

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm on humilyn3 12 in the morning 16 at night I find it fine when I have my breakfast a lunch and then evening meal .when i have my main meal lunchtime it is difficult but i just carry on and have a light tea and my injection its not great but if it's not a regular thing then it's fine