1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Going To Gigs/ Events

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by kay2409, Jul 29, 2018.

1. kay2409

kay2409 Type 1 · Member

Hi! I’m just looking for some advice regarding how people handle the security issue when going to events!

I have recently encountered problems at the last 2 gigs I went to, one regarding my pump and monitoring equipment the other regarding hypo treatment.

I know security has been tightened since what happened in Manchester last year and understand that staff need to be vigilant, but better training/ understanding needs to be undertaken for security staff and dealing with those of us who have hidden disabilities.

The first gig I went to, a member of staff almost didn’t let me enter the arena because of my pump and testing kit. I had to show them what it was as they didn’t believe me (despite having a visible tattoo on my wrist of T1 Diabetic in 6 languages). Eventually I was let in.

The second gig was last night and I was told that my 150ml can of lucozade ( which is great as it’s just over 12g CHO so you don’t need to waste any/ risk over treating) needed to be confiscated as it wasn’t allowed in the arena! Again at which point I informed them that I’m diabetic and it was my Hypo-treatment. I had to argue, but begrudgingly they said I could take it but had to hid it and if needed not drink it near security.

I now understand that because of a minority of people, bottles tops are taken off and cans aren’t allowed as they can be used as missiles and hurt people.

I carry glucotabs/ dextrose tablets with me but find that when you get into certain places they don’t allow you to take bottles in (I need a drink to clear my mouth of the chalkiness of the tablets) and have to buy drinks at over-inflated prices inside (£5 for a bottle of Coca-Cola in one place)

I love going and seeing my favourite artists but it’s beginning to feel like such a battle!

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I have experienced problems with drinks previously and never managed to make the argument. I was told to buy something if I needed it by someone who had no clue.
    Since, I have just relied on glucotabs. I understand all bars and restaurants must provide tap water for free so would use this to rinse my mouth if needed.

As for problems with pump, I have never experienced that at a gig but have at an airport. In that case, I wrote to the head of security and explained why I was unhappy with my treatment. Perhaps, you could write to the company providing security at gigs and explain. I suspect you are experiencing ignorance so they may be open to improving their procedures.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook