Going to try Apidra

bonerp

Hi,
Went along to pump clinic today and they are really pleased with what I've been doing and my results - think maybe I've been putting pressure on myself subconsciously to get perfect results since being on the pump!

Anyway I stated that I've not been happy with Novoslow (aka novorapid) because my after meal BGs are generally 12's until about 3 hours after, then I crash and hypo at about 3.5 hrs! Having looked at all the options carefully and the various profiles of all the rapid and regular insulins available, and other peoples experiences - I've decided to try Apidra.

The profile looks like it peaks within 2 hours then tails off quicker than novorapid so this should remove my highs and later crashes.

I looked at animal insulin and would have been happy to try this except for 2 things - no pump manufacturer recommends animal insulin but strangely none of them could explain why! I guess they just bat off responsibility on each other. The 2nd reason was predicting what I want to eat and bolusing approx half an hour beforehand just wont suit my lifestyle. With a 5 yr old daughter I generally eat when she gets hungry and I also graze on food so this half an hour pre bolus thing just wont do.

Whether the tiredness changes could be a deciding factor as to whether or not I stick with Apidra long term. I am giving myself 3 months to try it out though.

As for phosphate buffer not being in the mix of Apidra - shouldn't be a problem based on others experiences. Even the pump manufacturers werent aware of this! I change my set every 2 days and it shouldnt clog the cartridge. Will obviously keep a close eye on it. Others have been ok for up to 5 days.

So, hopefully in the next week or two I will be up and running. I'll let you know my experiences with it.

Paul

bonerp

Day 1 of Apidra.

Bear in mind got man flu....

BG at breaky was 7.1. Changed to Apidra. Changed set. Had usual dose (same as that on Novoslow) then 1.5 hrs later 13.5 - eh!? Maybe cos of set change....

Did a correction of 2.8. another 1.5 hrs later 7.2.

Pretty quick change which is good.

Lets see how it goes...Im pretty excited and got high expectations about having a quicker response with this stuff than Novorapid.

iHs

Hi Paul

I was going to PM you to see how you were getting on with Apidra but see that you have just started it :)

You will probably find that you will have to maybe increase the breakfast bolus to cope with the amount of carb you eat but once youve got your bolus correct, I doubt whether you will ever have a high bg reading 2hrs after the bolus. You will have to fiddle about though with all your bolus's.

I like Apidra compared to Humalog. I very rarely feel tired early in the evening now. When I used Humalog Mix and Humalog I was always falling asleep for 1.5hrs after eating my evening meal. I thought it was just me getting older as my bg levels were reasonably ok. It was only when I changed to Apidra and had a search on forums that I found out that Humalog has an ingredient in it that could be linked to fatigue. I was so glad I changed.

DiabeticSkater

I don't pump but use Apidra. Found it to be the best bolus insulin I have used to date and certainly does act quickly and stops those post meal spikes. Far easier to correct with too. And its not even insulin :roll: .
Hope it works well for you. Its more suitable for pumps than any other method I think. And I wouldnt go back to humalog not in a million years.

bonerp

lets hope so cos post lunch (2 hrs) is 15.6!!!!!!!!

not too concerned though due to having a cold.

Will get it good pre dinner BG then test after and see what things look like then.
P

bonerp

very good pre and post dinner BGs last night, but the best part of all - may be a one off but will monitor over the next week - I had the best nights sleep I've had for a long time!!!

Woke a 3.37am and tested 6.7. Woke at 6.50am to 7.1.

Just tested post breakfast at 5.8.

Speed of take up seems to be quicker. Generally feel slightly better.

First 24 hours seem better.

Will hang fire on overall results until post weekend.
P