Going to University (Hopefully)

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just received a letter from my chosen University asking me for proof I'm diabetic. Normally not a problem except I have already sent them a letter from my consultant to the disability team at the university, and filled in a questionnaire about my "disability". I have to say this is getting silly now. I'm not really disabled. I can walk to a fire exit in an emergency, i can look after myself. Focus on somebody who really needs the help. Also they say that i need to get it to them as a matter of urgency so that my offer for accommodation is still valid, even though i've paid the deposit!

And on top of that theres the stress of moving and trying to get hold of a new GP when i get there etc etc and this is all before i even get my results on the 19th. Has anybody else experienced frustration in a situation like this? And does anybody have any advice with trying to find a new GP?

Sorry for the rant.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would imagine your university will have a procedure to follow when enrolling students on courses with certain medical conditions, hence why all the form filling and letters, try phoning them and ask them to speak with the disability department that received your consultants letter, it shouldn't be to hard for them to trace.

The university student services usually have a comprehensive list of gp surgeries, dentists etc in the area available for you to read, again ask them for this to be sent to you prior to enrolling.

Good luck!

Nigel

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice, I'll check with the university about a GP. I didn't know that they did that :)

It's just so irritating, i actually have the e-mail where the accommodation officer said that they would contact the disability team and use that information so i didnt need to send more.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your main diabetes-related requirement at university accommodation is probably a fridge in your own room, something that not all students are allowed. So, they probably just want confirmation that you use insulin. Then, when your accommodation is confirmed, you can register with a GP near to the halls / flats etc. Some universities have accommodation spread over quite a wide area, so the same GP practice won't necessarily cover all places. I suspect it's a case of the academic side of the university not passing on the evidence you have already supplied to the accommodation part. Where are you going?
Hope you get the results you need and your course and time at university all goes well - remember it's not just about studying.... During my first degree I managed to do quite a bit of cross country skiing & fell walking (must admit I chose the city for outdoor opportunities as well as academic quality), learned to SCUBA dive, drank a fair bit of beer etc; during my second, saw a few films at club, heard Tony Benn speak, spent 5 months researching in Northern Ireland, drank more beer, plus I worked part time during both degrees.

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The same accommodation officer has said that a fridge is no problem for me. I e-mailed to make sure it was okay.

I will hopefully be going to the University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN) to do a history degree. I'm looking forward to the freedom of living on my own wierdly. Also the pub trips are a huge plus point of university :). Something I've yet to experience because I'm not 18 till the 27th of August :(

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with the history and pubs, then - have a great time.

JamesA

In some ways it's good that we're protected by the same laws that prevent people with disabilities being discriminated against.
We have the benefit of not having to class ourselves as having a disability.

Looking back at university days now, I'd question whether it's just the good times that people miss.
In my opinion it's withdrawal symptoms from the alcohol.
Me and all my friends were basically alcoholics for 3 years.
This is obviously a bit dangerous for diabetics so bear this in mind and be careful.

Make the best of the years and fit in as much as possible.
I suspect there'll be a lot less health-and-safety and insurance hassle doing activities through the university then trying to do them in the real world afterwards.

Don't sit and watch day time TV and then wonder where the 3 years went :)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Enjoy your uni time! It's a bit like school but with more booze and less rules :wink: Just make sure all your new Uni buddies are diabetic aware! I'm sure you know that people have been mistaken for being drunk when they are hypo and if you are in a pub, it's an easy mistake for an observer to make 8) Good luck with your degree :D

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the replies. I'm at uni now and all my room mates have been made diabetic aware, and now they knwo that its insulin in my little fridge and not booze everythings okay. I just need to register with a GP on monday :D