1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Good app for counting carbs and food info

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Philb69, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Philb69

Philb69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hiya

I am new to the forum and was diagnosed with type 2 about 3 weeks ago. I was wondering if anybody knows of a good iphone app to count carbs and other food stuff. I have already got a sd codefree meter but only just started to use it as i have just came back off holiday this morning. Just to say i have read messages on this forum all the time i have been away and found it really useful.

Thanks
    Phil

2. Andrew_Type2

Andrew_Type2 Type 2 · Member

Hi and welcome Phil. I used a Fitbit which worked well for me & it's compatible with your iPhone. I don't use it anymore as I feel I know what I can and can't eat, but it helped me no end. There are more experienced people on here though who will probably give you better choices.
    Get into the low carb diet my friend
    Wishing you all the best.

• Like Like x 1
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

4. auroralapetite

auroralapetite Type 1 · Active Member

MyFitnessPal is great for tracking calories and carbs, they have a huge database of raw ingredients if you like to cook and for any processed food, there is usually an entry already for it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HelenHak

HelenHak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Carbs & Cals. This is available from Amazon in book form and is also available as an app. It isn't one you can record stuff on, but it is invaluable if you want to look up how many carbs, calories, protein, fats and fibre there is in thousands of food stuffs - all with colour photos of the food on a plate, with the weight.

As an example plucked out of it, roasted peanuts have 1g. carbs, 60 calories, 3g protein, 5g fat (1g saturated) and 1g fibre for every 10g nuts (one tablespoon)

7. Philb69

Philb69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank everyone
    I will give them all a try. I am using nutracheck but it wants £30 for the full version but don't know if it's worth it.
    Cheers
    Phil

8. Looseboy

Looseboy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use MyFitnessPal and it seems to do the job well enough on the free version for me.

I did purchase Carbs and Cals but TBH not finding myself using it. Although I know it gets lots of positive reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ktmpedro220

Ktmpedro220 Type 1 · Active Member

+1 for MyFitnessPal.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook