Good book recommendations for the clueless!

Talya2022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I’m looking for a basic book to introduce me to diabetes 2. At this stage not looking for recipes or similar focus on diet change etc. I’m starting to panic because I’ve just learned diabetes is not reversible :( thanks

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Whether Diabetes is reversible depends upon your outlook.
I feel that being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and gaining remission from high Blood Glucose through a Low Carb way of eating is the best thing that ever happened to my health! - Just the possibility of daily injections, of blindness, of amputations, of diabetic coma, made me take my health much more seriously.
So the thought of being condemned for the rest of my long healthy life, to eat delicious food which I know (from my BG meter and regular GP blood tests) is good for me, just fills me with joy!

I have no idea what sort of book would be suitable for you. I learned all I know about diabetes from this forum, Dr David Unwin GP, his wife Dr Jen Unwin ( a Psychologist) and other members of the Low Carb 'community' on Twitter. She has written a book called 'A Fork in the Road' about diabetes, carbs and carb addiction but I didn't feel the need to read it.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The thing that set me on the right path was much shorter than a book.
It was this Blog post by one of our members:

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
Careful management of in take. I went very low carb. A person who was a nurse warned me about Ketoacidosis! Yes I was alarmed, but made me make sure my ‘numbers’ are ok.

Books: Carb & Calorie counter by Chris Cheyette & Yello Balolia
ISBN 087 9082611 5 1 Amazon
GI & GL counter Dr Wynnie Chan
ISBN 978 0 600-62931-3