Good day. From Singapore.

Decruz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good day everyone.

I was diagnosed as T2 on 23 December 2016. It was devastating for me. I was only 38.

I didn't know what to do and I thought having diabetes was the worst news as it was not treatable.

It didnt help when I have loans for my new house purchased in 2015, and I have a 6 year old boy whom I wanna see him grow up and getting a family of his own.

I went to the doctor as I suspected that I had diabetes since October 2016 as ants came to the toilet bowl whenever I went to toilet. I went to toilet several times at night.

23 December, a day when I had a fasting glucose test to be 8.0 mmol/L and HBA1C of 12 %.

I was given 500 mg of metformin a day and Simvastatin

My wife helped me alot since then, with knowledge of low carb food - brown rice, brown rice pasta, chicken, pork, grainfed beef and lotsa veggies including broccoli.

I started running -2.4 km daily. It was tough, until my knee gave way. I have to stop for a week.

I was sent for eye checks, full body checks and limbs check in January 2017 - all came back perfect with no signs of damage.

In Feb, my HbA1c dropped to 7.1, and then to 5.8 in June, with 5.4% in Sep.

I dropped 13 kg since December 2016.

Now i run 3 days a week and swim on Sundays, with 30 min everytime, moderately.

No sweet drinks, lotsa water, low carb food and moderate exercises.

I hope that I will be independent of medication soon as I am off Simvastatin since Sep. Now i am on metformin 250 mg, once a day.

I hope that diabetes is not progressive as what they said.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Decruz .. and welcome
Well done and many congrats on you acheivements so far .. I'm sure that your numbers will be even lower by the time of your next round of tests :happy::happy:
My only comment is that I'm not sure how brown rice and brown rice pasta fit with low-carb. I suggest you might take a look at the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need about carb levels and about what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Hope this helps

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wellcome here and well done so far Amazing activity level you have if you count your carbs to be under 100-150 grams in total in a day Then you might get normal numbers on a Daily basis and avoid adding conditions also try eating no carbs at all in breakfast Then you'll find it much easier like eggs and meat and cheese no bread

Also avoid all those Rice and pasta meven being the Brown kind

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
What a good, positive start!

Decruz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. All thanks for the advice and warm welcome. I am still learning what is low carb and what are the food. In Singapore, it is either rice or noodles or bread. I am finding ways how to get low carb food

Decruz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do they sell low carb Tiger beer in Singapore @Decruz ?

Hi. I am non alcoholic. So I wasn't looking at that. But this aroused my interest. I will look for it in the supermarket.

One thing to note in Singapore though - sugar content drinks are cheaper than mineral water