Prediabetes Good Fasting Levels For 3 Months But High Hba1c Level

Beebeequeen

I have been testing every morning for almost 3 months while following a low carb diet. I have lost almost a stone and my level has never been higher than 5.8 but is usually within the range 4.8 to 5.5 yet a recent blood test gave me an HbA1c level of 45 - which is actually higher than last year's test of 42. I would have thought that with consistent in range readings, I ought to be in the 20 - 41 range - can anyone explain please?

M

Moggely

Have you been testing before and after meals as well as fasting ?. What do you eat?. Someone will be along with a load of info for you. I have seen many say low carb but when they post what they eat it really isn't that LC to me but like people say a lot in here that everyone is different and they sure are. Welcome by the way, i think you will learn everything you need to know in here.

Reactions: zand
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finger prick tests are no predictor of your Hba1c. The Hba1c is the equivalent of finger pricks, every few minutes, 24/7 for about three months.

Finger prick tests are usually taken at a biased time when you hope your readings will be low and if they are then you get a low but false average.

It is as well to regard them as having little or no relationship.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks like your blood glucose may be rising after meals which will be pushing your average hba1c reading up.

Morning fasting readings don’t give any indication of what happens throughout the rest of the day.

Try testing immediately before and then 2 hours after eating, for each meal and snack. You will build up a better picture that way. :)

Beebeequeen

Thankyou all for your help. I have posted again because I thought my original message had disappeared!
I am following the low carb diet and had been entering my foods on the data base so was very satisfied that my meals were low carb. My weight loss has taken my BMI down to the overweight range - I was slightly obese before although size 12/14 in clothes so never considered that I was huge. I will try testing before and after meals for a while and see how that goes.

Reactions: zand