Good news for Libre users, I think

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read this on the BBC news website - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health If true, this is great news for those of us who use the Freestyle Libre system

I just posted this on another thread, for the same topic:

upload_2018-11-14_10-30-7.png

D

Deleted Account

Not that great - it is just saying, from April 2019, the NICE criteria will be applied in all CCGs throughout England; they will not be able add more rigorous criteria.
Sure it should increase the number of people entitled to Libre but I am not holding my breath.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not that great - it is just saying, from April 2019, the NICE criteria will be applied in all CCGs throughout England; they will not be able add more rigorous criteria.
Sure it should increase the number of people entitled to Libre but I am not holding my breath.

Me neither. I could get it, if I let myself go and got hospitalised, but because I work my socks off to keep balanced. I have no hope.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me neither. I could get it, if I let myself go and got hospitalised, but because I work my socks off to keep balanced. I have no hope.
Yes you do. It makes sense to fund people like you ...you are commited. I know some t1s who have been loaned a libre from the clinic and dont swipe EVER in the 2 weeks. These people do not deserve funding ..it pays to keep healthy diabetics healthy , unhealthy unmotivated ones are too expensive.

Reactions: CranberryIce

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure if you are well controlled, you have no chance of getting it.

AndyGW

Self-funding for 2+ years and found particular benefit from seeing over night trends.
In “theory” the well controlled ones of us will all meet at least one of the criteria (most likely the testing >8 times per day) but for those of us already self-funding it would have to be argued that we ‘would’ be testing that many times were we not already using the sensors. So it is a question on how consistent the CCGs are in applying the NICE criteria and how they would determine what that testing >8 times per day criteria in practice actually means for those of us that do not.
I hold my breath.

Reactions: Prem51

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well the good news is officially that the CCG's have had the decision making taken away from them happy days the NHS stand by their criteria the ccgs have been p*****right off . Every one has their day .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you do. It makes sense to fund people like you ...you are commited. I know some t1s who have been loaned a libre from the clinic and dont swipe EVER in the 2 weeks. These people do not deserve funding ..it pays to keep healthy diabetics healthy , unhealthy unmotivated ones are too expensive.
Some folk NEVER swipe?! Jeez they don't know what fun they are missing. I have only had my sensor for 14 hours and have already swiped 37 times lol.

Reactions: hollyslot

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Self-funding for 2+ years and found particular benefit from seeing over night trends.
In “theory” the well controlled ones of us will all meet at least one of the criteria (most likely the testing >8 times per day) but for those of us already self-funding it would have to be argued that we ‘would’ be testing that many times were we not already using the sensors. So it is a question on how consistent the CCGs are in applying the NICE criteria and how they would determine what that testing >8 times per day criteria in practice actually means for those of us that do not.
I hold my breath.
My consultant told me that the blood tests have to be finger prick tests and not Libre swipes.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And in the small print of the announcement it says 25% of type 1s will become eligible. That’s 75% that won’t. Basically those of us that are well controlled. Not holding my breath.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Imo and from a nhs manager background
IMO ..the healthier you are eg..if your HBA1C has improved , if you commit to swiping 10 tiimes a day , if you commit to eye care , foot care you will be funded.
Unhealthy people cant jump on the bandwagon now thinking the libre will make them well It takes work !. NHS money should be spent on the people who activley try to be well.

Reactions: CranberryIce

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In Leeds I’m afraid it’s the opposite way around.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Imo and from a nhs manager background
IMO ..the healthier you are eg..if your HBA1C has improved , if you commit to swiping 10 tiimes a day , if you commit to eye care , foot care you will be funded.
Unhealthy people cant jump on the bandwagon now thinking the libre will make them well It takes work !. NHS money should be spent on the people who activley try to be well.
That's exactly the opposite of what my consultant has told me.

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They ( we all ) really need the people prepared to put the effort in to be the first to get it prescribed, it has to be shown to the NHS what a difference it can make in our control, if they hand it out mostly to people who won't use it properly then their control won't get any better and they will withdraw the funding! I have a friend who has self funded for longer than me and who is about to be funding but in the 2 + yrs she has used libre her control has hardly changed because she mostly just looks at it and says ' look how bad my sugars were today ' and doesn't make any changes to stop things going wrong tye next day, just waits for her next appointment with the nurse because she is ' too busy ' to change anything herself!! This won't help prove its worth.