Good news (for me)

Ellen19

Hi, I used to post under the name Ellen but have had to rejoin. I just wanted to share some good news with you. I went for the results of my blood test yesterday and my blood sugar has dropped by .7! This has never happened before, it is usually the same or up from the previous test. I was delighted. I haven't changed my diet or exercise except I have started eating red grapes at lunchtime. I have 14. I checked with the diet nurse when I was taking Reductil and she said grapes are ok (I had to stop Reductil unfortunately). I read somewhere that there is a chemical (natural) in the skin of red grapes which helps to control blood sugar levels. I eat the grapes just because I like them but I can only assume that they may be responsible for the lowering of my blood sugar. Just thought I would share this, although I think Type 1's have to be careful eating fruit it may be of some use to Type 2's. :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would find it very difficult to have just a few grapes. I particularly like the red ones too.
So good luck.
Sorry you hd to stop th ereductil. Have you tried lowered carbs? that can help with BG and weight.

Ellen19

I have about 14 grapes. I find it difficult to get enough to eat at lunchtime because I have a sandwich but I don't like other things which would be filling such as soup. I do eat quite a lot of carbs because I don't really like protein foods much. I hardly ever eat meat and hate fish! The doctors weren't very helpful with the Reductil. It was working well and I felt ok emotionally (it affects the emotions and I did feel different but it was bearable) but I was having hypos. The ones at 2.30 in the morning were the most wearing! The doctors refused to lower my diabetic medication which I felt was rather short-sighted of them. The nurse at the diabetic clinic at the hospital (I never saw her but I came to her attention as I was going to start on insulin but I started taking Pioglitazone again instead) thought they should have lowered my meds as the weight loss would have been beneficial. :) I was very surprised that the diet nurse I used to see said 14 grapes was ok. I was sure something so nice to eat would be "banned".

Katharine

Ellen, you wrote:

I read somewhere that there is a chemical (natural) in the skin of red grapes which helps to control blood sugar levels

I think the substance is reservatol. Many of us can't get enough of it from grapes or the grapes put sugar levels up. The good news is that we can overcome the problem but only by drinking red wine.

It's so tough :lol:

mikecarter

Katharine said:
Ellen, you wrote:

I read somewhere that there is a chemical (natural) in the skin of red grapes which helps to control blood sugar levels

I think the substance is reservatol. Many of us can't get enough of it from grapes or the grapes put sugar levels up. The good news is that we can overcome the problem but only by drinking red wine.

It's so tough :lol:

Oh No! :lol:

coopergang

did i just read right about red wine, having a similar effect a grape skin or are you pulling my leg?, dont like red grapes and not too fussed on red wine, but i am sure i could have some fun wine tasting to try one i do like(by the way, i am being serious) 8)

Trinkwasser

coopergang said:
did i just read right about red wine, having a similar effect a grape skin or are you pulling my leg?, dont like red grapes and not too fussed on red wine, but i am sure i could have some fun wine tasting to try one i do like(by the way, i am being serious) 8)

I wait until the grapes have matured - into a bottle.

Seems to have improved my spot postprandial BG and also had a long term improvement on BP.

Katharine

Coopergang,

It took me a while to find my favourite sorts of red wine too.

Try wines with food to start with. It is strange how wines can taste different depending on what you are eating with them.

I like full bodied reds that are not too tannic (like tea bags have been dunked in it).

Eg Australian Shiraz, Californian Cabernet Sauvingon, South African Pinotage, Spanish Rioja.

If you spend about £5 a bottle you should get a decent and not overpriced one.

Trinkwasser

Katharine said:
Coopergang,

It took me a while to find my favourite sorts of red wine too.

Try wines with food to start with. It is strange how wines can taste different depending on what you are eating with them.

I like full bodied reds that are not too tannic (like tea bags have been dunked in it).

Eg Australian Shiraz, Californian Cabernet Sauvingon, South African Pinotage, Spanish Rioja.

If you spend about £5 a bottle you should get a decent and not overpriced one.

Agreed, there are some excellent value Australian and South American wines. Currently I'm also getting a couple of decent Bordeaux, one predominantly Merlot the other mostly Cab Sav and both significantly better than the price would suggest (also Chianti)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump