Good or bad?

Saimalicious

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just ate 2 pieces of thorntons dark chocolate mint....good or bad? Does anyone else crave then instantly feel guilty after comsumption with the words 'the odd one wont hurt' floating in your head?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
since you asked:
it depends on what the two pieces did to your BG, testing would tell you and with that information you would be able to decide for yourself.
I can't say I carve anything so guilt does not come in to it. I know what I can and can't eat and, at the moment, stick to it.
"The odd one won't hurt", guess work or hoping so....
I make my own chocolates and know what is in them exactly and how many I can have at any one time... the answer is 2 and I limit myself to 1 as they are that good.

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Nope, don't feel guilty cos the odd one is gonna keep me sane!

You know the old adage, 'a little of what you fancy does you good' - I'm sticking to it.

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

I just ate 2 pieces of thorntons dark chocolate mint....good or bad? Does anyone else crave then instantly feel guilty after comsumption with the words 'the odd one wont hurt' floating in your head?
Banish the words good, bad and guilty when you have an occasional treat. It is when you indulge every day with large amounts of treat foods that you are creating a problem.

Reactions: 2 people
P

paula.nolan42

My name is Paula and I'm a chocoholic. I had managed to be chocolate free for 3 months, but since discovering that dark chocolate is "ok" I've gone gaga. So much so, that yesterday at Gatwick I bought a large dark toblerone. It's all gone today.

Saimalicious

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you guys...that really helps and i dont feel so bad now. 2 pieces of dark chocolate after 3 months of choc free time is ok (compared to daily milk and white chocolate i used to have pre diabetes).

Reactions: 2 people
P

paula.nolan42

@Saimalicious Dont beat yourself up over 2 pieces. However don't fall into the trap of fooling yourself either. If you can stop after 2 pieces, brilliant. (I envy you that) but 2 pieces very soon becomes 4 and then 6 and then a whole bar.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
If it's an occasional treat then I personally think it's OK and necessary to stay motivated! Just choose your treats wisely and by that I mean choose the treats that you'll really enjoy and really savour. Don't "waste" the sugar/starch etc on something that you can quite happily go without ;-) I try not to feel guilty about my treats as, compared with my previous habits, it's night and day in terms of quantities! Just avoid letting the quantities slowly increase over time (carb creep).