Good Start So Far

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi...
I got the novorapid and the half pen. 3 days in and really doing great.
My DN is letting me take control and work things out myself. So I'm carb counting etc drinking eating healthy. My lowest bg is 13 . I'm so happy as I was Hi so I'm pretty happy that I've dropped to that in 3 days.. QUESTION.
if you have a couple of wines do you take the Bolus for that too??

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Wine (red anyway) is one of the "drinks of choice" for diabetics. Its impact on BG tends to be minimal, if any.

Best thing to do is test, have a glass and then test half an hour or so after. Remember if you're having "a glass or two" to keep a close eye on BG and watch that you don't plummet low during the night as alcohol can have this effect on glucose levels.

Grant

Reactions: 3 people

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Wine (red anyway) is one of the "drinks of choice" for diabetics. Its impact on BG tends to be minimal, if any.

Best thing to do is test, have a glass and then test half an hour or so after. Remember if you're having "a glass or two" to keep a close eye on BG and watch that you don't plummet low during the night as alcohol can have this effect on glucose levels.

Grant
Thanks grant

Reactions: 2 people

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a half pen and am still honeymooning, when I drink I don't take any insulin, it stops the overnight hypo

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you stick with dry wines (white too for me) then the carb content is low enough to not need to count.

That said you do need to take into account that the alcohol can cause your sugars to drop off a few hours later since your liver quits dumping sugar while it deals with the booze.

I know that some people need to have a small snack before bed if they have been drinking.

Great work on getting your numbers down, little steps but excellent ones :)

/A

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, be careful. More than a glass of red will later tie up your liver later on so it won't put out its usual shot of BG. So BGs can dive. Which can be nice in moderation, but can go too far.