1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Good Sugar Bad Sugar

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by kazzers, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I'm really rough and ready with my calculations.

For instance, we get veg at tescos or lidls, mainly.
    If it is sugarsnaps this evening, i will calc the little bag is 150 g, with 4.8g carb/ hundred, so if I'm eating the whole bag, then thats 7-8 g.
    Then i would probably have a small to med head of broccoli too. Anywhere from 2-300g, so approx 5 g carbs there...
    That's a heck of a lot of veg on the plate. More than most people can face :D so i jazz it up with spiced oil drizzles, or grated cheese, or a squirt of mayo...

Since I rarely eat breakfast or lunch nowadays, that will probably be all my carbs that day, plus maybe 4g in my coffee substitute, and a small portion of berries (just an ounce or two) - say 5 g there. Or a couple squares v dark choc - again 5 g carbs.

So if i have room for pud as well thats a whopping 21-22 g for the day ;)

But the reality is that i find the carbs in greenery are 'free' with nil bg impact, so i just guess in a haphazard manner.

On the other hand, i have to be very careful with grains, sweet fruit, sauces, root veg, etc... (Although reheated potato is fairly OK), so i try to avoid them, or keep them minimal. So in reality i would usually go without rather than count...

#21 Brunneria, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:46 PM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  2. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do much the same as brunneria as far as the veg goes. I don't count obsessively unless it is a new food. I just keep kind of a running tab in my head. The one place I need to be careful is nuts, it is way easy to go overboard on those.

3. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I did it very simply; cut out bread, pasta, rice and spuds, anything with any kind of added sugar, veg that grows below ground (apart from garlic) and increased the fats I like. Fat on meat, olive oil, coconut oil, cheese, cream, full-fat yogurt, nuts, avocado. I don't eat any fat I don't like and I don't force myself to eat it if I can't face it. I know whenI've had enough fat.

My blood sugars are largely under control and I've lost nearly two stone since diagnosis.

I'm eating fewer calories than I used to because I feel fuller. Find the fats you enjoy eating and don't force yourself to eat the ones you don't like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I've never weighed anything but just avoid anything that is carby.. green veg only, salad leaves, small tomato portion, avocado all with a nice fatty dressing. Then its meat or fish. Few raspberries and cream or yoghurt for dessert with maybe a scoop of Oppo. The current 3 day eating 4 day fasting is ok but i'm going to try one day alternating of each next week with one meal per day and see how that goes. Fortified coffee every day and I have just tried and loved homemade chicken broth with butter stirred into it... knocks those hunger pangs on the head..

• Like Like x 2
  5. chalup

I never thought of putting butter in chicken broth. Sounds delicious.

6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I sometimes put cream in it - instant Cream of Chicken soup. :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

It sure does. Some evenings when I'm tired and don't want to cook I just warm up some broth and crack a egg in it. If I stir it, it makes ribbons almost like noodles.
    Nice and filling.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chalup

Also a good idea, TY I will have to try this.

9. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Oh we have organic 36%fat cream here. Mmmm I have to try this in broth.
    It supper time here soon. I'm hungry.
    c

10. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

It is..

11. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had a good look at my food diary, seems I was being slightly ungenerous to myself. I have an apple every day, there's 14 and toast as a treat at weekends so another 40. So, for 5 days a weeks I'm much closer to 40 gms ish and weekends 80 gms ish and all less than 100 gms. LOL

12. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tried my first Bulletproof coffee this morning. I loved it so much I'm going to start making them at home. I won't bother with buying the Brain Oil though as I have a jar of lovely coconut oil at home.

13. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think this is the key to accelerate weight loss. if weightloss is the goal...it makes sense to achieven and maintain ketosis. I have been consistently been hovering around 6 mmol for the past year on eggs/roast pork belly and my weight stays fairly constant around 74kg +/- 2kg. So fpr me to stay in ketosis, that probably means glucose level of 5mmol or lower...is needed.

14. kazzers

kazzers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you to everyone for the information and tips. I feel more positive now :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook