Gory Story...

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning. I suggest you look away if you are of a tender disposition...
Ok, last month when I realised I was almost certainly diabetic and I had booked myself in to meet my GP (not been to GP practice for - oooooh - 6 years) I decided to eat some pickled onions. Yum! Only after half a jar did I realise the onions were in sweet vinegar. Sigh. Well, I had no means to test my BG so I did what they did through the ages, I dipped a finger into my wee and tasted it. Good grief, virtually pure sugar with an obvious onion odour! I would imagine I still stank of pickled onions as I sat in the surgery early next morning. I regaled my family with the finger wee test, no one batted an eyelash.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ewww lol. Have you now got an appointment to see your GP as yet?
Maybe an idea to get yourself a BG monitor?? As your other method is not ideal and wont give you an actual BG reading ;)

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Urine is sterile unless you have an UTI. I don’t have a horror of body fluids, modern life is so squeamish...
Yes, I have all the goodies now. Saw the GP next morning as I said.
Finger dip worked for hundreds of years but now superseded by more accurate means. Sweet pickled onion wee is an experience!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
And have your BG's been ok?

Sweet pickled onion wee.....as good (?) as it sounds (said only you lol) I think I will give a VERY wide berth to :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is emerging evidence that as well as having a gut biome the body has a bladder biome which leads me to suspect that urine may not be quite as sterile as once was thought.

Reactions: porl69

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother and her mother swore that rubbing wet terry nappies over the head of a baby would give it lovely curly hair. I tried it on my daughter. She grew up to have amazing thick curly hair, unlike me.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My mother and her mother swore that rubbing wet terry nappies over the head of a baby would give it lovely curly hair. I tried it on my daughter. She grew up to have amazing thick curly hair, unlike me.
Ewww lol
I am completely bald.....which give my brain a kick up the backside wondering what my mother rubbed on my head when I was younger :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Reactions: DJC3

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, my BGs are an ongoing story as I pursue a very low carb diet plus exercise. So using neighbours widget I was nearly 24whatevers. Couldn’t check my BG during onion wee incident other than digitally...
Now I am round about 6-7 on waking. So decent improvement. On sr metformin 1000 od.
Not really bothered about the sterility tbh, life throws much worse at you than a bit of wee.
Urine good for growing rhubarb according to old wives...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

You know that is how they used to diagnose diabetes, before all the modern tests.

the physician used to taste the patient's urine, and if it was sweet, then they gave the diagnosis.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Prepubescent male wee is a fantastic accelerater for garden compost and yes, I have sons.......

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

You know that is how they used to diagnose diabetes, before all the modern tests.

the physician used to taste the patient's urine, and if it was sweet, then they gave the diagnosis.

Oh my word :D
Sooooo glad the world has moved on a lot and FAST

D

Deleted Account

I never tasted my wee but when I was first diagnosed, I noticed how sugar seemed to get everywhere.
I got a tad upset and teary (which is very unusual for me).
Thankfully, the tears didn't last long: I stuck my tongue out to stop a tear dripping all the way down my face and onto the floor. Then, I noticed something amazing: my tears were sweet. I had to get my boyfriend to taste them too. But he didn't have long because I was quickly giggling with the wackiness of the situation and stopped crying.

Reactions: Antje77

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @rosco 2,
Congratulations on your initiative.
It makes you wonder which adventurous person first detected the sweetness of urine.
My wife mentioned to me that during her nursing training in the 60's, nurses used to have to taste urine . How the bureaucracy got away with ordering then to do so I do not know.
She used to be diffident about her ratings of the sweetness so that her superiors had to check her results. (there is always a way to get back at the institution).

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

And ants are attracted to sugary wee, so apparently that was also a very ancient diagnostic test.

Robbity

Reactions: kitedoc

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Similar thing - but I remember all matriarchs in my family doing the same on the face of babies for milk rash! - seemed to work - and although I have psoriasis I have never had it on my face and have had great skin on my face all my life :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes medicine advances, sometimes you wonder if there really is a bonus. The wee test was always a goody and, tbh, if you feel faint at tasting you own wee then you clearly were not cut out to work in healthcare! My beloved dog used to like drinking water from cow pats of a certain vintage...now, trust me I was never tempted...but I assumed there must be leached nutrients in the water. Never did her any harm :]

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, OK, I can’t resist asking why pre pubescent male wee ok for compost? Obviously it’s to do with hormones but for the life of me I can’t see the rationale.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, OK, I can’t resist asking why pre pubescent male wee ok for compost? Obviously it’s to do with hormones but for the life of me I can’t see the rationale.
I don' t know about special benefits from boys wee, but once upon a time it used to be fairly standard practice for gardeners to wee on a compost heap - thus providing a free source of nitrogen (needed by plants to grow) to help the compost get to work turning into manure. So an early form of recycling which was probably easier said than done for the ladies though! But nature is a wondrous thing and nothing ever need be wasted.:yuck:

Robbity

Reactions: zand