Got the Freestyle Libre today!

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I am feeling incredibly lucky. Today I got the FreeStyle Libre! I was told I wasnt eligible due to being recently diagnosed. However my return to work risk assessment dictated that I have to test my blood sugar every 2 hours at a minimum.

My fingers were getting so sore due to the amount of times I was testing per day. My DSN decided that she thought the Libre would suit my circumstances and enable me to return to 'normal' at work.

So because my appointment to be shown how to fit/ work it was last minute, I do have some questions:

- What is best to secure the libre during activity? As a Prison Officer, I sometimes get into scuffles. I also have horses who unintentionally knock things so I want something to cover the sensor!

- Does it only read when you scan it or does it monitor continuously?

- When it comes to changing the sensor, how do I remove it? Do I just pull it off?

Thank you guys! My fingers are already appreciating the reprieve. I'm now only finger pricking when I take insulin and before I drive for a reasonable amount of time (more than 20 mins).

Any other tips would be gratefully received

Jxx

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Simpatch, the one without the hole. I have to change it every 5-6 days though and I will say that it’s pretty impossible to do without assistance.

It takes a reading every minute, then averages 15 readings into one data point. It only downloads the data when you scan it, however. You have to scan at least every 8 hours, so keep that in mind overnight. I.e., if you sleep 9 hours, you will have a 1 hour gap at the beginning of the night.

Work a fingernail under one section, then pull it up and off. It’s pretty easy, but you will have to tug a little if it sticks well to your skin (varies by person). If it’s really stuck, try to time removing it with a hot shower, the adhesive becomes more tacky when wet.

FYI, you will get a wonky sensor every now and then. Abbott is (or at least used to be) good at replacing them.

I love the Libre. I’m aT2 not on meds, but I use one every few months to make sure I’m on track. It’s like watching a 3D movie vs looking at black and white photos. Hope you like it

Reactions: TIGERLILY1991

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both for the advice, I basically got an email this morning asking me to go in this afternoon as I had been approved so very short notice.

I will check out the other threads in the forum xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a Prison Officer, I sometimes get into scuffles. I also have horses who unintentionally knock things so I want something to cover the sensor!
Hi,
Scuffles.. well? i play in a band (lots of catches, gets rough sometimes.) Horses? hmmm, used to ride.. (Brought up with them.)
Try fixing the sensor under arm.. (opposite side to the enclosed, boxed diagram?)

Removal? Tease a lose edge & pull it off with no mercy from the weak spot. That's how i do it.. (bends the needle sometimes, but what the hey.)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, nice :)
Libre is a FGM and not a CGM, so you’d need to scan it to get a result. If you want it to be a CGM, some have purchased a miaomiao to connect it to give a reading every 5 minutes. However libre 2 is coming to the UK soon, I don’t know when but that is more CGM like. Some type 1s have purchased surgical tape to keep it in place and waterproof it. For the sensor, it might be inaccurate for the first few days if you activate it now. So you’ll need to finger prick to confirm readings. Yes you just rip the sensor off when your 14 days are done.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- What is best to secure the libre during activity? As a Prison Officer, I sometimes get into scuffles. I also have horses who unintentionally knock things so I want something to cover the sensor!
Some people use dressings like tegaderm, or kesiology sports tape, this has the added bonus of improving the waterproofing of the sensor. There are also armbands that are made to fit the libre, (search for libre sensor armband on Amazon). Another thing is that some people wear them on the inside of their arm as it’s slightly more protected.

- Does it only read when you scan it or does it monitor continuously?
The sensor works continuously, taking readings every minute and saves 1 every 15 minutes, however you will only know what the number is by scanning with the reader or your phone. If you aren’t allowed to carry the reader or your phone with you at all times then you may benefit from a MiaoMiao (self funded) which turns the libre into a true continuous glucose monitor, and with certain apps you can get it displayed on a smart watch. Therefore just glancing at the time will also tell you your glucose reading.

- When it comes to changing the sensor, how do I remove it? Do I just pull it off?

Thank you guys! My fingers are already appreciating the reprieve. I'm now only finger pricking when I take insulin and before I drive for a reasonable amount of time (more than 20 mins).

Any other tips would be gratefully received

Jxx
Yeah, I find they stick really well, and need a good pull to remove, but I use tegaderm over the sensor so it doesn’t loosen at all in my 14 days. Keep finger prick testing, the libre is great for noticing trends, but sometimes it can be out by 1mmol/L or more. Each sensor can have its own quirks but you will get used to them. And don’t forget the libre doesn’t measure BLOOD glucose it measures a layer of fluid in the skin therefore is 10-20 minutes behind blood glucose readings, if your noticing a drop on the libre finger test and treat if needed to keep ahead of it.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@helensaramay that’s useful, I didn’t realise they were saved every 5 minutes. I know there’s a new reading every minute, though. I’m sorry if I’ve given inaccurate info.

I personally like covering mine with tegaderm dressing, I feel safer knowing it’s protected. Being a wheelchair user I’m unlikely to knock it off on doorframes, but I know my luck. Also I often have itchy arms, and would potentially scratch at it without realising.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sensor saves the readings every 5 minutes.
The Libre reader and the LibreLink app aggregate the 5 minute readings into 15 minutes. However, other apps, such as Glimp, report the 5 minute readings.
This allows additions such as Miaomiao to convert the Libre sensor into a useful CGM. Interstitial readings, which are 15 minutes behind finger prick BG readings, only available every 15 minutes would risk missing a dangerous hypo.

My experience is they stick well to my skin but without extra "support", I find the sensor starts to come away from the plaster. This may be because my arm is more "curved" than most and, at the gym, it is flexed more than most. I think how secure it is depends on body shape, activity level and where you place it - unlike others, I have never knocked a sensor off on a door frame.

Maybe it’s different by country? In the US, it takes a new reading every minute.

Edited to add: nope, it’s the same. Every 1 minute in the UK too. Second question under sensor. Then it says it “stores” every 15 minutes. I assumed it was an average of the prior 15 but it doesn’t say that. I can’t final any mentions of a 5 minute interval.

OP, some good info on this site overall:

https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/freestyle-libre/faqs

Last edited: