Got there in the end

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I was diagnosed T2 in 2009 when aged 62 , having been pre diabetes for about two years . The advice at the time was to eat lots of starchy carbs , one of the reasons I`m sure that my pre diabetes turned into the real thing . I decided to research , spending hours reading papers and articles on the subject , my HCP had wanted to put me straight onto Metformin but I asked for a reprieve to see if diet and exercise would help , she agreed . So began a journey of discovering what foods I could eat and those that sent my BS through the roof , I had a monitor but had to scrounge test strips from those who had them for free, or buy them , for me, they were vital in pin pointing the right foods to eat . I began walking , my dogs loved me for this, building up to really hard walks of sometimes 6 miles or so , and , along with a low carb regime , not only did I lose weight but my blood sugars began to drop . Yes , I have erred , I am human and refuse to beat myself up over mistakes, but now , at my recent appointments , I have had consistent readings of a non diabetic . I know that I cant drop my guard too much , have to be aware that diabetes is lurking in the wings but I am thrilled to bits , keeping up the lower carb regime and still walking . My disabled husband is also a diabetic , sadly he cannot exercise but he is now getting much better results by cutting carbs , maybe one day he can lower his medication but for now, he is at a better place :)

Reactions: 19 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done, Kate ! What a great story :)

Long may you continue well, and I am sure you will :)

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, Kate, great that you have got where you are by your hard work and efforts. Gives the rest of us a real incentive to keep going!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you for your story kate, I'm glad both you and hubby are getting something out of low carb and 6 mile walks are no mean feat :)