Government to extend driving license to 10 years for diabetics on insulin

DCUK NewsBot

The UK Government has announced plans to extend the current 3 year restricted license to 10 years for drivers with insulin treated diabetes. The changes, which could be applied as early as this year, are part of amendments to the Deregulation Bill. The DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) has already recommended that the restricted license period should be extended. Restricted licences are issued to drivers with diabetes that take insulin as long term insulin use can sometimes lead to difficulty recognising the symptoms of hypoglycemia, a particular danger when driving. Extending the restricted license to 10 years will benefit people with diabetes, their doctors and the DVLA. Currently, the need for people on insulin to re-apply for a driving license every three years puts pressure on the DVLA as well as doctors who need to verify patients’ suitability to drive. The present system has resulted in significant numbers of people with diabetes having faced protracted delays in receiving a renewed license. Such delays can have a disruptive effect on people’s lives, such as posing substantial difficulties for people in getting to work. An extension to 10 years will help prevent the problems with renewal delays that currently exist. People on insulin need to be aware that it is important that, if you experience decreased ability to spot hypos, this must be declared to the DVLA. If you experience more than one severe hypo, a disabling hypo which requires help from someone else, this must also be declared to the DVLA.

Continue reading...

Hi! I'm with type 2 and taking tablets and insulin and I got my provisional driving licence at the moment and I didn't mention in my provisional driving licence when i applied and now I'm taking my driving lessons so can I now tell the DVLA about my diabetes? And how many years validity of my driving licence if I pass my driving test?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! I'm with type 2 and taking tablets and insulin and I got my provisional driving licence at the moment and I didn't mention in my provisional driving licence when i applied and now I'm taking my driving lessons so can I now tell the DVLA about my diabetes? And how many years validity of my driving licence if I pass my driving test?

I should check on the DVLA website (they are bound to have details on there), and then follow the procedure they require.

Good luck with your test! :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

If you applied for a driving licence and did not declare you are on insulin, then you fraudulently obtained your licence which makes it none valid, so you are not covered by your instructors ins and could end up with a hefty fine or jail.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I had a letter from dvla telling me I am being put on a 3 year restricted licence due to my type 1. Had to return my old licence by 29th Oct. Still not received my new licence. How long did you all have to wait to receive your 3 year licence