GP bang up to date!!!

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to see a new doctor at my GP practice today about another matter and started talking about my type 2 diabetes. I was gobsmacked when she asked me if I knew about eating low carb and then recommended that I try the 800 calorie a day diet for 8 weeks in order to reverse my diabetes! I have been going on about this to different docs at this practice for ages without any positive response so I was delighted. This was a much longer conversation which included encouragement to eat "healthy" fats but she really seems bang up to date. Not even very young either (sorry to be ageist but the young ones are sometimes more up to date with recent developments.)
Just had to share this - guess who I am going to see in future!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's brilliant - I wonder if you will be able to get to see that doc every time in future... fingers crossed!

Reactions: dbr10

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
How wonderful! You lucky thing.... I wish there was one like that at my local surgery.

Reactions: dbr10

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think quite a few doctors and nurses are now saying to cut down on the starchy carbs but how much fat is still controversial. I think saturated fat does not come under the heading of good fats

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @juliekem ..
A similar thing happened to me after I had been diagnosed then extremely disappointed by my named doctor's attitude and care (not). When I came into contact with my "other" doc, he told me that I could see him any time that I wanted to .. about anything, including my diabetes .. no need for formalities, no need to change doc, just ask for him at each appointment. It was like the sun breaking though a black cloud .. (mushy, I know, but that's how I felt)

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
On the subject of fat - i was never able to lose weight on low carbing - I am a small woman and without fasting it simply did not come off! Fasting gave me severe migraines. These were so bad and I had them every time I fasted - I couldn't face them. Too much fat seems to prevent weight loss. I know the arguments over the term "calories" but I do not have another term to hand so I will state that I think that I was eating too many calories. The hunger pangs did not seem to go away as promised with a very low carb diet.
I am now combining a gastric band (to reduce the hunger) with a low to medium fat low carb diet so we will see what this produces!
I don't think that we can expect the medical profession to go too fast (lol) they still cannot quite accept that saturated fat is not bad but hey - this was a breakthrough indeed for my practice!!!!

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was working with a 'young' (relatively speaking) doctor yesterday and he was talking about cholesterol not necessarily relating to either food intake or heart disease ... There are some around ...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
On the subject of fat - i was never able to lose weight on low carbing - I am a small woman and without fasting it simply did not come off! Fasting gave me severe migraines. These were so bad and I had them every time I fasted - I couldn't face them. Too much fat seems to prevent weight loss. I know the arguments over the term "calories" but I do not have another term to hand so I will state that I think that I was eating too many calories. The hunger pangs did not seem to go away as promised with a very low carb diet.
I am now combining a gastric band (to reduce the hunger) with a low to medium fat low carb diet so we will see what this produces!
I don't think that we can expect the medical profession to go too fast (lol) they still cannot quite accept that saturated fat is not bad but hey - this was a breakthrough indeed for my practice!!!!

About your headaches when fasting.... try drinking a mug of Bovril or similar - I think it was the salt in it which really helped with my fasting headaches.

Reactions: Ultramum