GP ... forgot I am diabetic..

Mummydebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Visiting my gp last week for being unwell .. explained what was wrong so he started printing off a prescription. I asked if the proposed meds would be ok with my diabetic medication to which he gave me a blank stare . I don’t expect him to remember but I do expect him or any other GP to look at my flipping notes !
I bet Teresa Mays GO never forgets!!!!!!

Honeyend

It's only a ten minute appointment. If I had to list all my meds, all the ways they interact and my allergies every time I saw a GP I'd have maybe two minutes to get to my actual problem. My named GP (not a random staff GP), trusts me to check the leaflet, and to stop treatment if there's a problem. She does remind me every time though.[/QUOTE
If the have EMIS,https://www.emishealth.com/home/, or something similar, they will have a computer list of appointments, when you come in your page should be loaded, and they should have already checked any flagged information. They should then ask you what you are there for and has any information changed, you should not have to go through your drugs as it will be all on a screen, and they should check it before they prescribe. Any 'episodes' come up as a list, most systems do this, with separate pages for blood results.
My GP surgery is connected to the hospital, they do send copies in the post but test should be there as soon as its uploaded.
Its there to stop mistakes being made and they should use it. They use the computer to write the prescription, so they have to be in the system to do that, and record the consultation. Its part of their duty of care and if I gave you something and you had an allergy to it, I would be in trouble.
Some GP's do not like using it as everything they do can be audited, and it can checked how much they prescribe.

Honeyend

It's only a ten minute appointment. If I had to list all my meds, all the ways they interact and my allergies every time I saw a GP I'd have maybe two minutes to get to my actual problem. My named GP (not a random staff GP), trusts me to check the leaflet, and to stop treatment if there's a problem. She does remind me every time though.
If the have EMIS,https://www.emishealth.com/home/, or something similar, they will have a computer list of appointments, when you come in your page should be loaded, and they should have already checked any flagged information. They should then ask you what you are there for and has any information changed, you should not have to go through your drugs as it will be all on a screen, and they should check it before they prescribe. Any 'episodes' come up as a list, most systems do this, with separate pages for blood results.
My GP surgery is connected to the hospital, they do send copies in the post but test should be there as soon as its uploaded.
Its there to stop mistakes being made and they should use it. They use the computer to write the prescription, so they have to be in the system to do that, and record the consultation. Its part of their duty of care and if I gave you something and you had an allergy to it, I would be in trouble.
Some GP's do not like using it as everything they do can be audited, and it can checked how much they prescribe.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

south869

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to my doctor with an ulcer on my leg, I rolled up my clothing to show him, he never even looked and ushered me out as he was busy doing reports, vowed never to return, walked in the door back home to the phone ringing, other half says "it's the doctor" he asked me why I came to see him and what did I need. I think I said "oh bother" or something close to that, I see on my medical notes it states "seems short tempered" changed doctor

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In an odd way it worked in my favour the other day - at my diabetic check I was waiting for the annual ‘have you considered taking statins’ chat but as we were discussing my cholesterol figures she noted that I was already taking them so they weren’t really mentioned. I didn’t bother to tell her that the doctor took me off them about 4 years ago!

Reactions: woodywhippet61