1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gratitude

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Egemba, May 30, 2020.

1. Egemba

Egemba · Newbie

Hello all, started on metformin for 2 weeks now, T2. Been watching it through exercises and partial dieting for about 4 years. Guess time caught up with me, had to add the meds.
    I learnt alot from this forum especially as regards the drugs side effects. Its waning now.
    Hopeful for the future.

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Siddhantkhankal

Siddhantkhankal · Active Member

Don't worry. With strict diet you will overcome metformin again. I have seen In India people with diabetic history of 20 years stopped their insulin and medicines just because of diet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome,

Metformin can be a useful aid but it alone won't control your blood sugar levels. Are you testing regularly? If not you really need a meter and need to start testing regularly- before meals and 2 hours after.

Most of us type 2 have to dramatically reduce the amount of carbs we eat. What are you eating at the moment and what are your levels at the moment?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Egemba

Egemba · Newbie

Thank you all for your response. I have taken the metformin 2x500mg daily for 2 weeks now. I check my fasting weekly and it still hovers around 9 - 10mmol/l. The random was about 18 when I commenced the drug.
    I have reduce my carbs intake, more veggies, fibre and proteins and eat less portions at a time.
    I am scared really and wondering if it takes so long to achieve normal levels.

Thanks once more.

6. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We are all different. It looks as though you are doing really well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

Just keep an eye on where your fibre is coming from. Lots of people think you can get it from wholemeal bread, brown rice or pasta. Well, you can but with a huge carb load which obviously isn't helpful for us T2s.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook