Graves disease

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was dianosed with graves one year after my diabetes. It was noticed by a doctor whilst I was in the hospital for ketoacidosis actually. He noticed I would move my feet a lot, 'wagging' it. Plus my heart rate was so high the doctor actually called over the nurses to look at it and they were all in awe. Haha, weird hospital.

But yeah, I'm wondering if there is anyone else here with graves. I've been on carbimazole for it on and off (off right now). Endocrinologist said there's a 50% chance it'll come back though, or whatever he means.

I've also associated it with diabetes, as I feel maybe it was triggered by a kinda chain reaction?

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hello Kitsunerun, I also had Graves disease diagnosed about 20years ago now. I was started on Carbimazole but had a bad skin reaction so was changed to Propylthyrouacil which controlled it more or less for 8 years, but I couldn't come off it without all the old symptoms coming back. I bit the bullet eventually and opted for Radioactive Iodine treatment and since then haven't taken any medication for it at all. I am heading towards hypothyroidism now - tsh raised but still producing enough thyroxine at present. I understand that sometimes a reasonable period on carbimazole can resolve hyperthyroidism for good - so I hope that's the case for you. I was diagnosed type 2 a couple of years ago and gradually my bgs are deteriorating despite adding more medication and opting for a low carb diet. I have always been pretty fit and active - so it was a bit of a surprise and I have wondered if Graves disease and diabetes is linked.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have it and as above was on carbimizole for a long time, then i had the radio iodine in September 2013 which killed my thyroid in a sense so now take thyroxcine 100mg per day. I am having a review next week and will see what the blood tests show but I think the level of thyroxcine is about right as my weight is stable (Ive put a stone and a half on since I stopped smoking) but that is a side affect of quitting the smokes.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I learned that I have subclinical hyperthyroid this year. The kicker is that I've had it for 12 years and no one told me. My gastroenterologist found a 1 cm nodule on my thyroid last week. My primary doctor's office called tonight to tell me that I've crossed over into hyperthyroid. Not too worried about it for now because my thyroid lab results bounce around quite a bit. I'm thankful that my resting heart beat is only 100. Treatment for my condition is kill the thyroid then take thyroid hormone for rest of life.

Graves disease is a more serious condition, of course, but there's some thought that some, not all, with these diagnoses can restore normal thyroid function. A chiropractor here in the US was diagnosed with Graves and cured himself. Since that time he's refocused his practice on helping those with under and over active thyroid. I have his book, http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Treat...8&qid=1447737246&sr=8-3&keywords=hyperthyroid but haven't read it yet. I recently attended one of his webinars and subscribe to his e-list. He seems knowledgeable and sincere. Next year, when I have more time, I'm going to look more into what he's doing.

I've been looking into treatments for a number of diseases this past year, and it seems like they all say the same thing: eat organic, nutritionally dense, whole foods, healthy fats, uncontaminated seafood, pasture raised meat, poultry, eggs. Eliminate sugar, processed foods, unhealthy vegetable oils and hydrogenated oils from the diet. Exercise. Rid the body of candida overgrowth and parasites. If you have an autoimmune disorder get tested for celiac, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and wheat allergy. If you have that, monitor and reduce inflammation by eliminating any other foods you're reacting too due to intestinal permeability, also referred to as "leaky gut". Small intestinal bacteria overgrowth (SIBO) is another problem that requires specific treatment. If heavy metals are present, remove them with chelation, minimize exposure to plastics and other toxins, begin rebuilding the microbiome with probiotic supplements and prebiotic and probiotic foods, detoxify the liver. If hormones are out of balance, use bio-identical hormones to restore hormonal balance. In addition, there are specific nutrients and herbs used for specific purposes. Learn how to manage stress. Don't eat GMO foods.

Just writing this out overwhelms me. Up until this point in my life, I was quite casual about making healthy choices. What's changed is that I now have multiple autoimmune issues. Not fun.

I'm taking this one step at a time. I started with improving my diet with the LCHF diet to get my blood glucose levels down. I eat mostly organic now, am eating healthier sources of protein. I'm slowly learning how to limit use of plastic. I have a nutritional supplement regimin. I've recently added a probiotic. Trying to walk daily.

My husband and I were talking this evening about additional ways to improve our health. I think we're realizing that this is going to take years of study and effort, not to mention money. Treatment often begins with testing, and it's not cheap. I'm in my 50's, my husband in his 60's. We think this is as good a time as any to get started.

I'll add only the changes I have made this year have been rewarded. I do feel a lot better. But still have quite a ways to go...

After looking around on Amazon, this book looks much more helpful, written in 2001... http://www.amazon.com/Graves-Diseas...p/0786410116/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

She wrote a second book in 2013... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786471891?redirect=true&ref_=s9_cxhsh_co_g14_i2

The author has a science background and had graves disease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people