Graves / Hyperthyroidism

shop

Hi Sanobar,

I think its like most things there are good HCPs, Brilliant HCPs and not so good HCP's. My Endo is very good as is my DSN ( Actually he is superb :) ) I do sometimes think that the bad press us diabetics get doesnt help and the odd person that doesnt try to help themselves makes it seem like we are all the same unfortunately. Having said that, that will always be there. I hope that you find one who listens to you.

Lucy xxx

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Sanober!

Sanober said:
It was awful Smidge, I ended up fighting back tears afterwards and cried in my car. His approach was just weird asking questions but not listening to me, I don't even know why I bothered going.

He did mention I may be a contender for the pump which can be fine tuned better than adjusting Lantus but didn't go any further. He also remarked that my morning readings were very tight and really I shouldn't be trying to get tight numbers at this early stage (confused? Me too).

I told him it's not a numbers game really but I feel genuinely ill if I go above 8 and feel horrendous beyond 10/11s... he thought this was unusual.

I also queried the lack of hypo symptoms and he questioned that this happens to people who have D for years (so he didn't believe me...?) But the fact he suggested 3-4 wasn't really a hypo, I pointed out I was able to test so frequently so was catching them, he also scrutinised why I was testing 12-14 times a day. I said it wasn't for fun and to be honest I can test anywhere between 4-10 times a day normally.

He's booked me for a follow up on 17th Dec (as my last appointment was overdue 3mths...I should be getting follow ups at the D clinic every 6mths apparently) taking hubby who is ready to punch the next Endo!

Oh that sounds miserable! Try not to let it get you down. They don't seem to understand how demoralising it is when you do your best and they just criticise. I got told my control's too tight as well. Also that I test too much - I test 7 times a day normally - but have been testing more because of the regular hypos I've been getting for the last couple of months. After saying about testing too much he reminded me to test before driving :roll: Anyway, I'm hoping the switch to Levemir will reduce the hypos and get me back to testing before and after each meal and at night.

I sort of know what your endo means by 3-4 not really being a hypo. Normal pre-food BG in non-diabetics ranges from about 3.5 to about 5.5 and, on average is 4.5, so 3 - 4 is actually in the normal range. The difference is that we take insulin, so can drop too low quickly whereas a non-diabetic's body will stop that happening, so you really do want to stay above 4. They don't seem to understand the blipping about that we get with LADA do they? I just think they're really only used to advising full Type 1s and we're different so they don't know what to advise.

Anyway, keep your chin up. Things will get better! Good idea to take Hubby along to the next one - it's always better to have some support!

Speak soon

Smidge