Grazing....

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
what do you do if you eat something snacky, say, 20 mins apart? For example, earlier today I was offered a little cup cake thing (someone had a bday in the office!) so I said thank you, bolused and enjoyed (it was a bite size brownie thing) then 20 mins later, same bday boy did another round of the office and force fed me another (honest!) so I bolused again (checked BG both times, which wasn't really necessary I suspect?).

Is it ok to do that? or should I have either taken 2 brownies at once or said no to the second one?!

What do you do?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Debloubed said:
what do you do if you eat something snacky, say, 20 mins apart? For example, earlier today I was offered a little cup cake thing (someone had a bday in the office!) so I said thank you, bolused and enjoyed (it was a bite size brownie thing) then 20 mins later, same bday boy did another round of the office and force fed me another (honest!) so I bolused again (checked BG both times, which wasn't really necessary I suspect?).

Is it ok to do that? or should I have either taken 2 brownies at once or said no to the second one?!

What do you do?

What I would have done is resist temptation!

No, I am not going to answer this as I now know you are using the pump (insulin pump forum) not going to catch me out two days on a row! :wink:

They do sound nice though :D

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
they were delish Nige!! Would have been rude to say no :wink:

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
This is one of the great things about the pump Deb, you can do exactly what you did with no downside. My (pump) consultant maintains that when bolusing so close together you should throw in a stacking factor, i.e. reduce the second bolus slightly but this never works for me. I always find that I absolutely need the insulin for the carbs I have eaten, according to my ratio for the time of day.

Stacking only comes into play for me when also correcting from a higher bg, you wouldn't correct on both boluses just the first one - this is where the "insulin on board" (IOB) maths comes into play and makes the bolus wizard so effective. If you look at the way boluses are calculated by your pump wizard, this certainly holds true. To add a stacking factor to a meal bolus suggests to me that either the insulin/carb ratio or basal rate is set incorrectly.

jopar

I don't have the luxuary of IOB or carb wizards so do all the number crunching and factoring myself...

I would have checked BG on the first one and bolused what I needed... On the second one, I wouldn't have checked BG (too soon the last part) but bolused for the carbs being eaten..

I would have checked what my bg was after 2 hours of the first bolus, to see if I was on track, taking in consideration what IOB I might still have, if this is looking to be slightly out I will use a TBR to counter-act if needs be..