Great news...finally

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Finally I have someone who knows what they are doing, rather than doctors who just look at my Hb1ac and nothing else.

So I have a new diabetic nurse. And I went to a little course today. It was on using the new accu-chek expert sugar tester. (At the moment I inject, but I want the pump). I've always had bad control, but that's not through lack of trying. I go hypo on such a regular basis, and then I go sky high.

Well, turns out going low always results in going high after. My diabetic nurse wants me to concentrate on not going low. She said, at the moment, she doesn't want to worry too much about highs until I sort my lows. And even just in one day I've noticed I'm not going too high, not like I used to. This is the first day I've not had a hypo.

One of the things I was doing, for example, and only realised it at this meeting yesterday, was this: if I testing and my sugars were really high, like say 20, I would do my correction dose. Then, in two hours, I'd test again and it would still be high so I would give myself more insulin. According to the accu-chek handbook, it can take two hours before the correction dose even starts, so I've been doubling doses and sending myself low.

I'm feeling so positive write now. I've got someone who's actually listening to me, and identifying what the issues are. I feel like, for the first time since I was diagnosed, I might actually have a chance to get this under control.

The only problem is I don't think my insulin correction is quite right. My sugars seem to have settled, but between 10 and 12, rather than 5.5 to 8 like I set my target at. But then I was told I need to run a bit higher to bring back my hypo awareness, so at this moment I'm not too worried.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great that you've got someone that can help you.

Doctors in the past just used to look at my Hba1c too and didn't seem concerned I was having huge swings from high to low. My doctors and nurses now are much better :)

Even though your sugars are a little bit higher at 10 -12 at the moment just get rid of the lows before you adjust your correction dose to bring them down to where they should be.

Keep up the good work!!

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Thanks. This is the first time I've felt healthy in ages. :)