Great News!!!

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for the info,, its going to take me a long time to re adjust i think ,, ive been a typical pie and chips man for a very long time , and i work on the road all day so a bit hard to get certain types of food during the day ,,,,

I have the same problem, so I didn't mess about .
Newcastle diet, and now I eat normally, (just a lot less, and a lot more 'healthy')
Have a look at it on here.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the normal for me ,, supermarkets , bakers , tea stalls, etc, i do try packed lunches sometimes, but mainly sandwiches or rolls , salad in the warmer months, but im a bit old fashioned , and like hot or warm foods in the colder months, and i do drink a lot of tea

No need to eat bread or rolls, and you could stay away from the bakers. What about cold meats from the supermarket? Chicken thighs etc. Burgers with salad and no bun. Others will have more suggestions as I'm no expert on this because I am perfectly happy with cold meals provided I can have tea! There is nothing wrong with drinking tea, just no sugar and a dash of full cream milk.

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No need to eat bread or rolls, and you could stay away from the bakers. What about cold meats from the supermarket? Chicken thighs etc. Burgers with salad and no bun. Others will have more suggestions as I'm no expert on this because I am perfectly happy with cold meals provided I can have tea! There is nothing wrong with drinking tea, just no sugar and a dash of full cream milk.
ok thanks , ill have to look into it , and make these changes ,, just started using cream in my coffee which is not often anyway maybe 1 or 2 coffees a day , but the tea could be like 10/12 cups a day , no sugar and semi skimmed milk most of the time ,and i think thats my issue on foods, dont mind cold meats etc , but always looking for something to go with it , ie potato based or bread based etc ,, dont seem to feel satisfied when i dont ,,,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ok thanks , ill have to look into it , and make these changes ,, just started using cream in my coffee which is not often anyway maybe 1 or 2 coffees a day , but the tea could be like 10/12 cups a day , no sugar and semi skimmed milk most of the time ,and i think thats my issue on foods, dont mind cold meats etc , but always looking for something to go with it , ie potato based or bread based etc ,, dont seem to feel satisfied when i dont ,,,

Controlling blood sugar levels means a complete change in thinking I'm afraid.
Some chicken thighs or a bunless burger with salad, followed by a full fat yogurt maybe? Fat satisfies, and satisfies for a lot longer than bread and spuds.

I don't know what you have before you leave home, but if you made yourself a big fry up, (bacon, egg, high meat content sausage, a tomato, mushrooms) that should fill you up for several hours. You could boil yourself some eggs to take with you to snack on, or some nuts, and/or some cheese. You just need to think outside the box.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for the info,, its going to take me a long time to re adjust i think ,, ive been a typical pie and chips man for a very long time , and i work on the road all day so a bit hard to get certain types of food during the day ,,,,

It’s about planning in advance mate and complete change of diet and lifestyle. We don’t want to catch any horrific complications later on. Diabetes is a silent killer mate.

For the pie, I suggest use celeriac mashed with one small carrot. It’s delicious and low carb.

For the road, I recommend making your own sandwiches with Lidl high protein rolls (only 9.6g of carb/roll). You can get it from Lidl for 29p!

Put sliced turkey or chicken or make your own burger, topped with cheese, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes. You’re sorted!

Or have a small hard apple (11.7g of carbs).

Or two boiled eggs.

Or sliced carrots, cucumbers, celery with a bit of mayonnaise.

For sugar alternative, I use Stevia or Xylitol and they won’t spike your blood.

Always aim for a tight glucose control mate.

Eat to your meter. Test your blood glucose levels regular and often (before meals and 2 hours later)
to see which foods spikes your blood or not.

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Controlling blood sugar levels means a complete change in thinking I'm afraid.
Some chicken thighs or a bunless burger with salad, followed by a full fat yogurt maybe? Fat satisfies, and satisfies for a lot longer than bread and spuds.

I don't know what you have before you leave home, but if you made yourself a big fry up, (bacon, egg, high meat content sausage, a tomato, mushrooms) that should fill you up for several hours. You could boil yourself some eggs to take with you to snack on, or some nuts, and/or some cheese. You just need to think outside the box.
ah ok,, i normally have weetabix before i leave ,, but then im told that cheese is a no no ,a portion the size of a match box is all what i can have ,, and the same with the fry up, they said only maybe once a week, not that i could eat one of them everyday, let alone 1st thing in the morning lol

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s about planning in advance mate and complete change of diet and lifestyle. We don’t want to catch any horrific complications later on. Diabetes is a silent killer mate.

For the pie, I suggest use celeriac mashed with one small carrot. It’s delicious and low carb.

For the road, I recommend making your own sandwiches with Lidl high protein rolls (only 9.6g of carb/roll). You can get it from Lidl for 29p!

Put sliced turkey or chicken or make your own burger, topped with cheese, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes. You’re sorted!

Or have a small hard apple (11.7g of carbs).

Or two boiled eggs.

Or sliced carrots, cucumbers, celery with a bit of mayonnaise.

For sugar alternative, I use Stevia or Xylitol and they won’t spike your blood.

Always aim for a tight glucose control mate.

Eat to your meter. Test your blood glucose levels regular and often (before meals and 2 hours later)
to see which foods spikes your blood or not.
ok thanks for the advice

Happyhomelands

the normal for me ,, supermarkets , bakers , tea stalls, etc, i do try packed lunches sometimes, but mainly sandwiches or rolls , salad in the warmer months, but im a bit old fashioned , and like hot or warm foods in the colder months, and i do drink a lot of tea
I know what you mean. I thought I'd find a cooked breakfast in a supermarket. Tried tesco.... Costa and cake then asda..... Mc Donalds... avoided and found a pub doing all day breakfast.... Shame they cloned my card. Just been dragged into mcdonald's unexpectedly by hangry teenage daughter. Had wrap of the day, bbq grilled chicken 40g carb 7g sugar. I'll test later and see if I spike. Could/should have had a salad but need to mentally prepare for will power and this was very spur of the moment.

Reactions: smokiejoe03

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ah ok,, i normally have weetabix before i leave ,, but then im told that cheese is a no no ,a portion the size of a match box is all what i can have ,, and the same with the fry up, they said only maybe once a week, not that i could eat one of them everyday, let alone 1st thing in the morning lol

LOL. Sorry, but what you have been told is old science and is still (unbelievably) the advice the NHS gives out to diabetics. Most of us get the same from our nurses I'm afraid. All carbs turn to sugar once inside the system. The more you eat, the higher your sugar levels will be. Fats do not raise sugar levels. You really do need a blood glucose meter so you can see at a glance what your food choices are doing to you. They are essential if you want to control this disease.

Weetabix is not a good choice (and nor is the milk you have with it). VERY high carb. Have a look at the nutrition details on the box and see what percentage of carbs there are. (grams per 100 grams).

As far as diabetes is concerned, fats are good for us. Carbs are not. However, if you continue to eat a lot of carbs you do need to keep the fats down if you need to lose weight. BUT if you cut out/seriously reduce the carbs you need to increase the fats accordingly. The choice is yours .... but if you want to reduce your glucose levels, the carbs need to go. (and then you can have a lovely fry up whenever you like!)

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL. Sorry, but what you have been told is old science and is still (unbelievably) the advice the NHS gives out to diabetics. Most of us get the same from our nurses I'm afraid. All carbs turn to sugar once inside the system. The more you eat, the higher your sugar levels will be. Fats do not raise sugar levels. You really do need a blood glucose meter so you can see at a glance what your food choices are doing to you. They are essential if you want to control this disease.

Weetabix is not a good choice (and nor is the milk you have with it). VERY high carb. Have a look at the nutrition details on the box and see what percentage of carbs there are. (grams per 100 grams).

As far as diabetes is concerned, fats are good for us. Carbs are not. However, if you continue to eat a lot of carbs you do need to keep the fats down if you need to lose weight. BUT if you cut out/seriously reduce the carbs you need to increase the fats accordingly. The choice is yours .... but if you want to reduce your glucose levels, the carbs need to go. (and then you can have a lovely fry up whenever you like!)
i havent really got time in the mornings to have anything complex, and thought weetabix (cereal) was ok ,, so now im bamboozeled as to what to have before i go out in the mornings

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i havent really got time in the mornings to have anything complex, and thought weetabix (cereal) was ok ,, so now im bamboozeled as to what to have before i go out in the mornings

Cereal is one of the danger foods, along with bread, spuds, rice, pasta, anything made with flour, and most fruit. We also need to be careful with milk.

Breakfasts can be difficult, I know. It doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food. It could be any mixture of cold meats, eggs cooked any which way, cheese, a full fat unsweetened yogurt with a few raspberries or strawberries. It takes no time to make an omelette with 2 or 3 eggs, and perhaps add some mushrooms, bacon bits, cheese, tomato, whatever floats your boat. It could even be left overs from a previous meal, heated up. As I mentioned, it means thinking outside the box. In fact, if you go to a cafe at lunch time you could have a fry up there (without bread and beans), or an omelette. MacDonalds will serve burgers without the bun and chips and give you extra salad.

I see you are on insulin - so you do need to be careful if you reduce your carbs. What you don't need when on the road is a hypo so be very careful and test, test, test.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should add that you need to inform your diabetes nurse if you go low carb - she may need to help you with your insulin doses.

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Cereal is one of the danger foods, along with bread, spuds, rice, pasta, anything made with flour, and most fruit. We also need to be careful with milk.

Breakfasts can be difficult, I know. It doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food. It could be any mixture of cold meats, eggs cooked any which way, cheese, a full fat unsweetened yogurt with a few raspberries or strawberries. It takes no time to make an omelette with 2 or 3 eggs, and perhaps add some mushrooms, bacon bits, cheese, tomato, whatever floats your boat. It could even be left overs from a previous meal, heated up. As I mentioned, it means thinking outside the box. In fact, if you go to a cafe at lunch time you could have a fry up there (without bread and beans), or an omelette. MacDonalds will serve burgers without the bun and chips and give you extra salad.

I see you are on insulin - so you do need to be careful if you reduce your carbs. What you don't need when on the road is a hypo so be very careful and test, test, test.
ok thanks again for that,, what about things like brown pasta, rice , sweet potato ? pears ? bananas ? etc, sorry if i sound a bit dumb, but it seems the info on here is getting very helpful to me and possibly helping me to adjust ,,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ok thanks again for that,, what about things like brown pasta, rice , sweet potato ? pears ? bananas ? etc, sorry if i sound a bit dumb, but it seems the info on here is getting very helpful to me and possibly helping me to adjust ,,

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Eggs,boil them while you're making your cuppa

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Eat to your meter mate. Test your bg levels before meals abs two hours later to see which food spiked your bg levels.

Avoid high carb ie potatoes, sweet potatoes, and sweet tropical fruits like banana.

I can tolerate brown rice and it doesn’t spike me.

We are all different. Our metabolisms are different.

What’s tolerable for me might be completely intolerable and bad for others!

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Eat to your meter mate. Test your bg levels before meals abs two hours later to see which food spiked your bg levels.

Avoid high carb ie potatoes, sweet potatoes, and sweet tropical fruits like banana.

I can tolerate brown rice and it doesn’t spike me.

We are all different. Our metabolisms are different.

What’s tolerable for me might be completely intolerable and bad for others!
ok thanks for the info

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@smokiejoe03 - Do you have a freezer at home?

I appreciate if you're on the road, food can be a bit of a challenge on the hoof, but do you like things like cold chicken, cooked bacon, cheeses and the like?

Whilst I don't travel much these days, I sometimes find myself with a day when I'm not quite sure where or when I'll be eating. In those circumstances, I tend to roast a couple of chicken thighs the night before and take those with me. I can do the same with decent quality sausages, or chunks of cheese, or cooked bacon.

In summer months I use a little coolie bag, just to make sure things stay cool.

In your shows, I might consider roasting a pack of chicken thighs, a pack of sausages and anything else that's potentially finger food, and chuck what I wasn't using immediately in the freezer, in "dose" size packs. That way, I could take one out in the morning, on my way out of the door, and it's likely be defrosted by lunchtime. If that timing didn't work, then taking it out the night before would still work.

It probably seems like a faff, but those thighs/sausages roast in around 45 minutes, after cooling, they can be portioned and wrapped in foil in 5 minutes. Just grab one "package", a napkin and off you go.

A wide necked flask could work for soups or casseroles.